Road tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a conversation last night about road tax. My argument was that it should be scrapped and put on the price of fuel. If you work out an average person does say 12000 miles a year and you want a revenue of £200 for that person then 200/12000 - 1.6p per mile. If you work it out that an average car would do around 25mpg then that works out at 25 x £0.016 = £0.42 per gallon increase.
Does this not make sense? You'd therefore only be paying for what you used. I only do around 4 or 5000 miles and I begrudge paying the same road tax as someone that does 30,000 miles. It'd also be in your interest to have a more economical vehicle.
If you think about it there'd be no administration charges for the DVLA and there'd be no tax dodgers cause they'd be paying for it with their fuel.
Now I realise that there will be some of you that will be annoyed at what I've just proposed because you do big miles and have an uneconomical vehicle but surely you can see that it makes sense to pay for what you use?
A few examples of what road tax you'd end up paying. Based on 25mpg and an increase of 42p per gallon.

5000 miles = £84
10000 miles = £168
15000 miles = £252
20000 miles = £336
25000 miles = £420
30000 miles = £504

Now obviously, diesel vehicles generally give you better mpg figures so you could have a separate rate for diesel fuel. Say a diesel vehicle does 35 mpg then that would equate to 1.6p per mile x 35 = 58p per gallon increase. Making the annual rate of:

5000 miles = £82.80
10000 miles = £165.70
15000 miles = £248.57
20000 miles = £331.40
25000 miles = £414.20
30000 miles = £497.14

What do you think folks?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I think road tax should be done away with anyway and there is already enough tax on fuel as it is.

Govt. are just greedy gits who want to bleed the rest of the country dry :evil:

You are of course falling into the trap of thinking that you vehicle excise duty is spent on roads or anything vehicular. Also, with road tax there is the additional revenue stream of people who fail to tax their cars or who forget to declare them off road, resulting in an automatic £80 "fine".

The other argument for the tax discs is that it is a visual indicator that the car is MOT'ed and insured.

But if you want my opinion, I think the idea of scrapping excise duty and collecting the shortfall via fuel prices is meritworthy.

at the end of the day, doesn't all the tax money go into the same pot o' gold? But scrapping road tax would be a good idea. One less PITA. But how would we then tell if a car is MOT'd and insured? MOT and insurance discs, issued by the relevant companies, perhaps? Or just a insurance disc - then force an MOT before insurance. The whole system would have to be changed.

They said Gordon could have lowered taxes this budget, but he chose to spend more instead. :rolleyes: cant have everything i suppose!

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
The other argument for the tax discs is that it is a visual indicator that the car is MOT'ed and insured.
How about do away with road tax and have insurance and mot disc instead?

Doing away with road tax would be fair, the more you drive, the more tax you pay, but the govenment want the best of both world!

Ahh, didn't read crafty post :oops:

But now the dvla know if your vehicle is mot'd and insured!! The next tax will be a fine if you allow either of those to lapse!!!!

cozycats said:
But now the dvla know if your vehicle is mot'd and insured!! The next tax will be a fine if you allow either of those to lapse!!!!
NON-Insured drivers :evil: :evil: I walk with a limp due to one of those arseholes

cozycats
Im fully in favour of The DVLA new Automatic fine system if you are not MOT'd,an I hope they get their act together to fine those not insured as well ....

although an £80 fine for not having a valid MOT is way too low maybe £500 is more better ...

Nige F
sorry to hear that :(

to many out there chancing it

automatic £2000 fine, I think for having no valid insurance sent by DVLA computer

Moz said:
Nige F
sorry to hear that :(

to many out there chancing it

automatic £2000 fine, I think for having no valid insurance sent by DVLA computer

Of course the main problem is that the cars that aren't taxed or insured, aren't registered either.

Eddie M

the police are using a new camera computer system ,that warns of this using the number plate detection system linked too the dvla computer , they then pull the car over an arrest the drivers ,

Dellsmp
thats why that "Sweaty Sock" put them in that bracket..lol :)
sly evil guy

Dellsmp said:
Did you see that the cars in the chancellors new zero rated tax band arent available here in Britain, :LOL:
thought they were. think theres only 2 in mass production, both electric cars i think!

some of us use motorcycles that have no insurance or mot or tax

they are race tuned and well looked after and the number plates are just made up numbers and the braver riders have swearwords put on them

its called pig baiting and its catching on up here :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back