papering round corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Crrently having probs as paper not plumb after going round corners , i have been papering up to corner then marking new guide line with spirit levvel ???
pklease advise

Sponsored Links
hi,

would that be an internal corner? or an external ie round the chimney breast?

repeating patern right across and down the paper or is there a gap between the patern repeat???

Sponsored Links
Are you cutting the paper tight into the corner when you get there...or just pushing it in with a brush and continuing round?

Traditionally when you come to a corner (Internal) you cut the length approx quarter of an inch(8mm) ish wider than the gap to be papered, good idea to snip very couple of inches, again around quarter on an inch, to assure the paper doesn't bubble later. You know how sometimes you see wallpaper bulging at the corners? That's usually because it's been papered round the corner in one piece. Once you have fixed that piece, measure the width of the strip remaining, (Say it's 6") then round the corner take a ruler and every couple of feet from top to bottom measure out 6", then instead of a level, take a plumb bob, 8 feet of string with something heavy tied on will suffice, and hang it from the top of the wall until you are in line with the innermost mark, keeping the heavy bit off the wall, mark with a pencil (NOT a pen) directly behind the string, maybe 4 times top to near bottom, remembering to cancel the original marks as you go by crossing them out to avoid confusion. Then hang strip to these marks, being sure you have followed the pattern. If the strip is very narrow, it's sometimes easier to match up the next length to the plumb marks and hang the strip Know this maybe looks complicated but honestly it's not. Remember the biggest mistake made by amateur decorators is, they 1, don't put on enough paste and more commonly, 2 they don't steep the paper long enough. If you use Solvite, providing you put plenty of paste on, you reason why you wouldn't be able to still hang the paper ater 20 mins but usually 8 to 10 mins is sufficient. Professionals get away with this by sometimes pasting six to eight lengths (if it's a straight run) before they start hanging.

Excellent advice there...ive never heard of snipping the paper every couple of inches...never seen it illustrated either or spoken about but it makes very good sense.

Just go's to show you never stop learning...even 29 years down the line

Is this thread you were referring to Zampa?
Still a little unsure as to how I can attack these corners; I'd found this advice on corners from another site/s:

The easiest way to paper external corners (which are rarely square or vertical) is to take the paper around the corner by about half an inch and trim it to this point.

The next section of paper can then be hung vertically, overlapping this half inch and trimmed a fraction back from the corner.

The professional alternative, which avoids an overlap, is to run the first piece around the corner by a couple of inches. The second piece is then hung ovelapping this, taking care to match the pattern. The two pieces are then spliced using a straight edge and sharp knife. The edges are lifted and the excess from both pieces removed. The two edges are then smoothed down creating a perfect joint.

At the corners, measure from the last full strip of wallpaper to the corner and add 1/2". This 1/2" will allow the strip to go into the corner and onto the adjoining wall by 1/2" (Fig 16). If your walls are not running straight up and down, you may want to use 1" instead of 1/2". A small slit at the top and bottom of the piece in the corner will make it easier to go around the corner.

For the next piece, measure out the width of the wallpaper from the corner and make a pencil mark. Use your level and make another perfectly straight line from the floor to ceiling as before in Fig. 4. This piece will overlap the 1/2" strip on the wall from the previous piece installed. For vinyl wallpaper, use a vinyl-to-vinyl adhesive on these corner seams.

Grant has given some excellent advice there but I'm struggling to visualise this...and I don't want to c*ck this up (never having wallpapered before).

Yep thats the one...its a very difficult thing to explain, I have written loads of training material about it but its still easier to give a practical explanation...that was the best ive seen on here

I would buy a couple of rolls of cheap lining paper and have afew practice runs first..obviouslt tearing them off before they dry

That's a good idea Zampa.
I've actually started the wall papering earlier on this evening; so far so good though I was being extra cautious (and extra slow!). Slight problem over the light fitting - one side I over cut, although the the other sides were snuck under without a problem. Masked this with a bit of cut off and it's only noticeable if you really look for it. Hopefully should finish this room by the end of tomorrow.
It's a DIY job I've actually enjoyed. Conversely, stripping wallpaper from the hallway earlier on this year was the worse job I've ever had to do...took almost a week...really hideous exercise!

Cheers.

Went well in the end...quite pleased with myself!

For the corners I used the following method (found on a website - flash guide which made it a little easier to visualise):

Took the paper an inch around the corner (say internal here). Measured a line on the new wall the width of the wallpaper (using a plumb bob for the vertical level) less an inch; this inch is used to go back on yourself on the previous wall. Brush out as you would fixed wallpaper. Then cut down on the new wall by a 1/4 inch from top to bottom going through both sets of paper. Pull the top layer (from the new wall) off then peel back and pull out the thin strip leftover from the previous wall (of which the knife had cut through both sets). Hey presto!
Probably the method I'll use again, made sense once I had used this workflow...our corners are all over the place - could never of papered directly into the corner on them.
Cheers for the help folks.

Northbeach said:
Went well in the end...quite pleased with myself!

For the corners I used the following method (found on a website - flash guide which made it a little easier to visualise):

Took the paper an inch around the corner (say internal here). Measured a line on the new wall the width of the wallpaper (using a plumb bob for the vertical level) less an inch; this inch is used to go back on yourself on the previous wall. Brush out as you would fixed wallpaper. Then cut down on the new wall by a 1/4 inch from top to bottom going through both sets of paper. Pull the top layer (from the new wall) off then peel back and pull out the thin strip leftover from the previous wall (of which the knife had cut through both sets). Hey presto!
Probably the method I'll use again, made sense once I had used this workflow...our corners are all over the place - could never of papered directly into the corner on them.
Cheers for the help folks.

Any chance of flashing the link up to the help site?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back