i`v taken the plunge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
out on my own now as a sole trader, only been trading a week and a half.
first week was very slow, but this week i`v got more jobs than i can cope with, breakdowns, services, 4 boiler quotes in 3 days.
put my advert in 2 local papers costing me loads so i`am gona just go to one paper next week.
lovin it tho, workin 7 days just to keep up.
i should of done it sooner!!

any one got any advice for the new blood

Sponsored Links
1. Keep on top of the paperwork.
2. Don't work seven days a week.
3. Don't take on more than you can achieve.
4. Look after your customers.
5. Always be on time.
6. Don't blame other tradesman or criticise their work.
7. Look after your tools, and don't lend them out. Ever.
8. Don't rip anybody off.
9. Don't take any sh*t from anyone.

1. You get paid when you finish a job, not when you've stuck your neck out and taken it on.
2. If you get a bad feeling about a customer, trust your instincts and walk away, even if it costs you a bit.

Softus said:
6. Don't blame other tradesman or criticise their work.

Like people here never do ;)

Sponsored Links
But what counts as critisism? If you're correcting something that was done poorly previously, critisism will be at least implied, if not expressed.

I don't agree that "doing remedial work" is tantamount to criticism, but let's assume that it is, in which case I merely meant "6. Don't expressly blame and/or criticise in front of a customer, i.e. openly and/or verbally.".

You might disagree; or you might be heading somewhere else with this - I don't know.

I'm only offering tips to the OP, not writing a gospel or attempting to start a new religion.

I'm not going anywhere with this, but not implying critisism is difficult when you change something which has been done, and the customer says "the last guy said "that's fixed, that won't cause you any problems"", when it was a poor solution that obviously IS causing a problem.

In my experience there's an easy way around that.

For example, if a tap has been installed without an isolating valve, then there are two basic approaches:

1. Say "Who the **** fitted this?! Blimey you've had some right cowboy in here Missus!".

2. Say "Current regulations require the use of a valve to ease maintenance and to reduce water wastage; I notice you don't have one here, and it will make future work quicker and easier if I fit one now. Are you happy for me to do that while the water is off?".

The whole point underlying the nine-off-the-top-of-my-head principles was that there's non-technical side to running a business which I hazarded might not be obvious to the OP, and offered some things I've learned by experience.

oilman said:
But what counts as critisism? If you're correcting something that was done poorly previously, critisism will be at least implied, if not expressed.

Went to look at a job last night. Customer complained of a faulty immersion heater. I happened to notice a new rad that had been plumbed in a couple of weeks earlier by a 'heating and plumbing company' - I have seen them driving around in a van with flash livery. The idiots had run it from the wrong side of the pump so that in effect it was gravity fed. :rolleyes:

A useful tip, I hope:

When I was in business on my own I found it quite hard to take holidays and time off (which we all need).

At any particular time, if someone says "how about going to +++++ for a week" you find yourself thinking "h'mmm, that's £nnn for the holiday, plus I'll lose five days work, that's £nnnn, I can't afford that".

So you have to book your holidays well in advance, put them in your diary, and make sure you say "I'm sorry, I'm booked up that week, but I can do it the week after."

You have to take time off. Do your calculations on the basis that you can only manage 200 revenue-earning days in a year.

Also, think about PHI (insurance for when you're sick or injured). I took it out just in case I got some terrible disease (there's no sick pay when you're on your own) and never thought I'd claim on it, then, one day, I had a bad accident. Can happen to anybody.

Good points from Softus, particularly keeping on top of paperwork; file invoices and receipts regularly and don't chuck anything away or lose paperwork. This should also help with cashflow and help you to plan.

Don't work too many hours or late nights, you're no good to anyone if you're too tired to work properly.

Completely agree with JohnD about holidays, this is what I used to do. Put it in the diary and plan your work around it, otherwise you'll never have time for a holiday.

Also, keep an eye on which advertising works best. In my opinion you are better off having regular ads in one or two publications than having a couple of weeks in all of them. Once people have got used to seeing your (eyecatching) advert in a particular place they will know where to look 10 weeks down the line when their boiler plays up. Don't believe advertising salespeople when they start to phone you (and they will). Stick with what works and if you're any good you won't need to advertise at all before long.

Good luck

hermes said:
... if you're any good you won't need to advertise at all before long...

Very good point. Get some professional-looking business cards printed (include any qualifications or memberships) and give several to every satisfied customer, suggest that if they're happy with your work they can keep one handy in case they need you again, and they can also pass one on to a friend who needs a good person.

You will also have more reliable customers when you know them already. You can always be "too busy" to see the moaners and the slow payers.

If you don't include your address and landline telephone number on the card people will think you're an itinerant flybynight. It's worth having a Business phone line (tax deductible) with answering machine so that you don't have to answer it when you're off duty.

JohnD said:
hermes said:
... if you're any good you won't need to advertise at all before long...

Very good point. Get some professional-looking business cards printed
When you're at the printers: let them also make little labels/stickers, professional looking ones which must include a proper telephone number. Every time you have a job done, place a label/sticker on the boiler etc for future references.
Simple ;)

Sponsored Links
Back