ELECTRICS SAFETY

It is NOT fine

The pro-electrician will ( should ) be aware of those situations where a volt stick will give a false indication,

The DIYer may not be aware of those situations and assume that the indication is correct.

If the false indication shows "No Voltage" then the DIYer is at risk.
The voltage indicator on my Fluke 177 multimeter is just as unreliable, but it is still sold with it and is a useful addition.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The secret is knowing where and when to trust/mistrust any readings and electric ouch does not differentiate so treat with care. It’s the same as knowing or not knowing with your own car brakes etc

The secret is knowing where and when to trust/mistrust any readings and electric ouch does not differentiate so treat with care. It’s the same as knowing or not knowing with your own car brakes etc

A major point is to test, test-equipment both before and after use, to ensure they are in full and proper working order.

I favour the 2 pole voltage tester over my multimeter as it’s lighter and easier to use, but multimeter for poking inside boilers. Voltstick/pen useful for checking a pipe, boiler cover et al before touching (eg, “safe to touch”).

Sponsored Links
Because it`s cheap Pcaoulte.
People will risk allsorts in all ways just to save money or a few minutes time. Look at the way folk drive these days, say no more. At my age we were brought up and taught by the "Save a Shilling Brigade"

When using multimeters make sure you dont touch the multimeter casing as its often grounded so you might get a shock. Put it in floor and test.
I don't think I've ever come across a handheld multimeter with a 'grounded' case :unsure:
I do have a couple of very expensive bench multimeters that are Class I, but if you are faultfinding with those, leaving them on the floor is a good idea - they are bloomin' heavy! :)

Reactions: CBW
I've got some very old clamp on ammeters and even they are shrouded in Bakelite/Paxolin. Certainly no metal enclosure, in fact the only exposed metal is the laminated jaws when you open them up to clamp on.

Never come across one in nearly 50 years of electrical engineering.

Reactions: CBW
My Mark 7 Avo has a metal case with Bakelite front panel.
AVOMETER Model 7, or AVOMETER Model 8 Mk7?
As standard most AVO8's from MK2 on had bakelite backs, although I do have a Mk4 (ex-NATO?), that has a metal case with a silver hammerite type finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back