£1000 for a guesstimate are you serious

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an ongoing project on my house and have plans being drawn up by an architect for an extension etc.

The last chat my wife had with him where for a few changes that he said were no big issue. My wife asked him how much more this was going to cost and he said " not a lot"

I also asked him for a guesstimate off the cuff to advise how many flats he reckoned we could get on the land.

i got a reply a few days later confiming that this would not be a worthwhile pursuit and left it at that.

2 months later i got a final invoice for over £3k of which almost £1k was for the guesstimate on the flats.

i have obviously flat out refused and now have a very stroppy architect in for a meeting today. am i witihn my rights.

Sponsored Links
Don't know with the scant information provided, which suggests that one or both of you are leaving out some major information here ........

nope no major information left out. Plans were all drawn up for the extension the wife changed a few internal walls and layout which is where she was told not a lot.

i sent an email saying as a guesstimate if we built flats how many could we get. I dont want any plans drawing or anything just a rough idea how many.

This was my email :

When the surveyors were round they asked if we were converting to flats. This is something we have looked at in the past however
parking was an issue.
I believe rules have changed on the number of spaces needed and please don’t shoot me but would flats be viable across both properties.
If so as a guesstimate how many would we be able to achieve on the plot for both houses.

This was his reply:

I have looked at the question you raised at a flatted development at ******* and have attached a plan illustrating a potential parking layout and siting of a single block of flats. You will appreciate that this is a very basic layout and if you wanted to pursue this idea then I would need more design time to provide you with a fuller appraisal.

As a guestimate, I think we could probably fit 16 parking spaces on the site. This would not include parking on the roadside elevation between the ****** and ****** Road. There may be potential here but would require further consultation with the Highways Department. As I understand it from previous conversations, this is quite a sensitive site with regard to the Local Council and the Water Authority. Also on the plan is an outline of a footprint of a block of flats that would probably accommodate 3 flats per floor. Given the existing ridge heights of surrounding and neighbourning houses, I think that a two- storey development with the possibility of a penthouse in the roof space as a second floor would be the likely scale and mass acceptable to the Planning Department. There may also be the possibility of incorporating a garden level flat within a semi-basement. However, all of these things would require design time to determine and negotiation with the Local Authority.

So potentially, we could be looking at 6 to 8 flats with 16 parking spaces and on that basis, I would have thought that there would a reasonable chance of success.

I should point out that this type of development is always contentious with neighbours and the design of the flats would need to be carefully thought through to avoid any potential overlooking into neighbours gardens and the loss of their amenity.

A larger number of flats would require more parking space and although some Local Authorities have a softer approach to parking where there are established public transport routes, the acceptable car parking standard could not be agreed until we have submitted a full application.

The idea for a flatted development may be worth pursuing as an additional application so that the Local Authority can see that you are exploring more than one option.

The Local Authority fees, however, for the flatted accommodation is likely to be in the region of £339 per flat as they charge per new unit of accommodation. You may wish to take this into account in the decision that you make.

With this type of speculative application, the economics and payback calculation needs to be made. If you were to approach a Local Agent, I would suggest that one bedroom flats would be the best option with regard to planning. If you make the flats with a greater number of bedrooms, there is likely to be a higher requirement for both car parking and garden amenity space.

I hope this is helpful for you and please give me a call if you want to discuss further.

I replied with:

I received your letter which somewhat confused me as it said plans attached and all I could see was the land layout with green survey circles on it and i never asked for this. I asked for a guesstimate.

I was not looking for any plans drawing etc or for you to spend any time just as i asked for a guesstimate as to how many flats we could get on both properties. Bearing in mind the houses together are worth approximately ***** and a 1 bed flat goes for around £170k i could then do the maths and not waste time or monies pursuing this.

Maybe it's your wife leaving the information out .........

Your architect will put his side to you no doubt justifying his £1K, when he does, report back. until then though .....

Sponsored Links
Back