0.75mm flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At a place iam currently working at they have klik boxs for the lights. out of theses sockets are 0.75mm flex to the light fitting and the cirucuit is wired in 1.5mm on a c10amp rcbo so the 1.5mm twin and earth is fine on the 10amp but what about the 0.75mm flex (there is no fuse in the light fitting) [/b]

Sponsored Links
It's fine and perfectly normal. The 0.75mm flex is ok based on the fact that the biggest lamp you could put in the bayonet would be 100 watts = less than half an amp and well within the CCC of 0.75mm.

Keep calm and carry on.

It's fine and perfectly normal. The 0.75mm flex is ok based on the fact that the biggest lamp you could put in the bayonet would be 100 watts ...
I agree totally with the advice you've given the OP ("It's fine and perfectly normal ... Keep calm and carry on.") - but, just to be mischievous clic here - and that's even before one starts considering even higher wattage 'infra red'/'heat' lamps with bayonet fittings :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think if you put over 1.38KW of bulb(s) into anything resembling a normal home or office light fitting then you would have much bigger problems (heat dissipation) then overloading the flex would be the least of your worries.

I think if you put over 1.38KW of bulb(s) into anything resembling a normal home or office light fitting then you would have much bigger problems (heat dissipation) then overloading the flex would be the least of your worries.
I'm sure that's right. Indeed, I would imagine that much the same would be true at 690W, so it might just as well be 0.5mm² flex!

Kind Regards, John

I often see them klik boxes supplied with 20amp or larger supplies ,feeding unfused modules, in fact they have Big terminals that look designed for up to 6mm 32 amp supplies and i too questioned the boxes non fused outputs.

I was in the opinion that they were designed too be used with Fused fittings,

Going off on a tangent for a minuite what happens if the ballest on a flourescent lamp fails short such that full mains voltage is applied to the tube? How much current is drawn? is it in a range where normal circuit protection would be expected to operate?

I find most chokes and electronic ballasts seem to fail to earth so the current usually reaches a peak till the circuit disconnects or the fault blows clear.

We proberly get at least one a week fail this way and usually take a 6A or 10A circuit out

Only occasionally have i found fault current actually goes to the lamp, the filament goes excessively bright then blows clear usually leaving a couple of inches inside of the glass clear, the lamp never works again, i dont think the current flowing is that extreme when it happens before the filament fails.

I have put lamps in and seen this happen and dont recall it ever taking out the mcb

Only used in rented houses with the meter bypassed. So why bother with CFL ;)
Heat.

article-2120626-12570DDD000005DC-323_634x543.jpg

It's fine and perfectly normal. The 0.75mm flex is ok based on the fact that the biggest lamp you could put in the bayonet would be 100 watts = less than half an amp and well within the CCC of 0.75mm.

Keep calm and carry on.

Probably not going to be an 100W BC lamp connected with a Gregg/Klik/LSC. But essentially what you are saying is correct, in that fault protection only need be provided for the flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back