1 gang, 2-way switch for additional light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I would like to install a switch for an under-cupboard light in our conservatory. there is an existing cable (twin and earth) which is connected to the wall socket in a base cupboard and it is then connected to the under-cupboard light, but I just want to install a light socket on the wall to make it easier to turn the light on and off.
So at the moment the twin-and-earth (with brown and blue) is running directly to the light. If I am to fit a 1-gang,2-way light socket (L1,L2 and C), how should I connect the wires to make the switch work ? thank you.

Sponsored Links
So at the moment the twin-and-earth (with brown and blue) is running directly to the light.
Do you mean it's plugged in?

If not, how is it connected? How do you turn the lights on and off now?

If I am to fit a 1-gang,2-way light socket (L1,L2 and C), how should I connect the wires to make the switch work ? thank you.

The wall socket can be turned on and off, so the light is turned on and off from the wall socket (crazy, but it was like this when we bought the house). The cable runs through the wall, from the wall socket to the undercupboard light, but I don't want every time to switch off the socket in order to turn off the light, so I want to either cut the cable halfway through and put a light switch OR run another cable from wall socket to the switch, then another one from the switch to the under-cupboard light, to make life easier. I would say it is the same issue as when you have wall sockets in the kitchen, between worktop and cupboards and you decide to have an under-cupboard light later after everything is fitted - how do you do it, can you not take a cable from the wall socket to get your under-cupboard light ?

of course I can get an electrician, but I also want to learn and despite what you said about me not having the right attitude without even knowing me, which I honestly find it disrespectful, I do hope other people here can give me a proper advice.

can you not take a cable from the wall socket to get your under-cupboard light ?
Yes, but if you're connecting it directly, not by plugging it in, you have to use an FCU, not an ordinary switch.

of course I can get an electrician, but I also want to learn and despite what you said about me not having the right attitude without even knowing me, which I honestly find it disrespectful, I do hope other people here can give me a proper advice.
OK - you want to learn, and you want to DIY.

4 months ago you got into a mess because you didn't know how what you'd decided to fiddle with worked.

What learning have you undertaken in the last 4 months to address that lack of knowledge?

Sponsored Links
look, ban-all-sheds, can we not just restrict to advice, I thought this is about on this site, not about being lectured what I learned and what I didn't learn in the past months. You don't know me and I don't know you. I don't judge you because of that and I want you stop lecturing me and talking about anything else than the subject at hand.

Coming back to my original question, it was actually how to connect a light switch when I have a 2-core and earth coming from socket and 2-core and earth going to the light, when the light switch is a 1-gang 2-way with L1,L2 and Common. Can someone help on this, which I think is a fairly clear one ? Thank you

look, ban-all-sheds, can we not just restrict to advice,
I have given you all of the advice you need - in my first reply, I told you where to find all of the information you needed to be able to find out how to add this switch.

You see, fiddling with electrical work on the basis of following instructions to put this wire in that hole, without knowing why, is unacceptable, and the ONLY basis in which you should do it is with a full and genuine UNDERSTANDING of how it all works.

I thought this is about on this site, not about being lectured what I learned and what I didn't learn in the past months.
You see I strongly believe that you haven't bothered to learn a single thing in the last 4 months.

I strongly believe that 4 months ago you thought it would be OK to do electrical work without knowing what you were doing and got into a mess because of that, and that here you are, 4 months later, having done SFA to improve your knowledge, still thinking it will be OK to do electrical work without knowing what you are doing.

Well, it isn't - it is utterly unacceptable.

And your refusal to learn is an utterly unacceptable attitude.

You don't know me and I don't know you. I don't judge you because of that and I want you stop lecturing me and talking about anything else than the subject at hand.
I am only talking about the subject at hand, and if you feel that you're being lectured then that's because you fully deserve it.

Coming back to my original question, it was actually how to connect a light switch when I have a 2-core and earth coming from socket and 2-core and earth going to the light, when the light switch is a 1-gang 2-way with L1,L2 and Common. Can someone help on this, which I think is a fairly clear one ? Thank you
If it's that clear how come you can't cope with it?

Just why do you think that it is OK for you to work on your electrics when you don't even understand something as simple as how a switch works?

The only advice you'll get from me, and the only advice which is truly in your own best interests is:

Read up on how electrical circuits work, what switches do etc, and become competent to do the job, or get an electrician.

I am sorry, you have a wrong attitude in life and towards your fellow human beings and I am not the one to fix it. Your attitude towards me put me off using this website again and it is bordering abusive behaviour. I am sure you think you haven't done it, but it is what I THINK as the subject of your attacks, not you as the one who did it.

I am really dissapointed that such attitude is tolerated on this website!

ban all sheds say's "get an electrician" this is the best advice in this situation.

I am sorry, you have a wrong attitude in life and towards your fellow human beings
So you think I am wrong to have the attitude that any advice you be given should be in your own best interests.

Fair enough.

You think I am wrong to have the attitude that people who do electrical work should understand it.

Fair enough.

and I am not the one to fix it.
It is your ignorance which needs fixing, not my attitude.

Your attitude towards me put me off using this website again and it is bordering abusive behaviour. I am sure you think you haven't done it, but it is what I THINK as the subject of your attacks, not you as the one who did it.
What you THINK is that it is perfectly OK for you to do electrical work without understanding it, what you THINK is that it is perfectly OK for you to not be prepared to put any effort into learning about it, what you THINK is that it is perfectly OK for you to keep on doing that even though it's gone wrong in the past.

And what you THINK is that you should not be criticised for holding such dreadfully erroneous views.

I am really dissapointed that such attitude is tolerated on this website!
And I am really disappointed that your attitude is that you need not do a single thing for yourself, and that this site is here to spoon-feed you, and robotise you, heaven forbid that you should actually have to THINK about the work you want to do, rather than THINK about how mean we all are.

Actually, there is one attitude of yours which I do wholeheartedly support - the one about you not using this website again.

One thing I can tell you - you have a problem! I already reported your behaviour to the moderators and admins. You are agressive towards people, you use agressive words, you call people in various ways without any provocation from their part. You THINK you know everything, even what I am thinking and you put words in my mouth that I never said or even hinted at them.

You are just wrong and you don't admit you have an attitude problem. I just asked a question for God's sake and you call me ignorant, that I haven't learned a single thing in don't know how many months, that I refuse to learn, that a I fully deserve a lecture. That is ridiculous.

This is the last post I am making, you don't deserve to spend my time to argue with someone who knows everything and treats others with disrespect. I just pity you. You might be great at electrics but you need to learn a lot about people.

FYI, in the past 3 years I learned how to plaster,how to tile,how to lay wood flooring, how to plumb,how to hang doors,etc and I did 4 flats top to bottom, all to the highest of standard. I used electricians for electric work and professionals for the jobs I couldn't do, but I wanted to learn from them. I am NOT a builder, I am an IT guy that wanted to LEARN lots of stuff. I THINK a lot more than you and last time I had my IQ evaluated it was 169 - who are you to give me a lecture on what I didn't learn and how erroneous views I have.

And by the way, In January I am starting an electrical course to become part-P qualified.

I don't need to explain this to anyone, but your behaviour was wrong and with people like you this country is not going in the right direction !

You are agressive towards people, you use agressive words,
I guarantee you'd not be able to put forward a convincing example of aggression towards you.

you call people in various ways without any provocation from their part.
When I said "It is not compulsory to learn and to know, because it is not compulsory to DIY. But if you want to DIY then you must learn, and come to know, and you really don't seem to have the right attitude" you said I was being disrespectful.

When you said you did want to learn, I said OK, but given that 4 months ago you got into a mess because you didn't know how what you'd decided to fiddle with worked (which is an unarguable fact), I asked what you had done since then to learn, because it seemed to me given that you still don't know how to wire a switch you hadn't actually learnt anything.

And you promptly objected to being asked that and basically said that people here should only tell you what you think they should, not what they think they should.

When I made it clear that my position was that fiddling with electrical work on the basis of following instructions to put this wire in that hole, without knowing why, is unacceptable, and the only basis in which you should do it is with a full and genuine understanding of how it all works you accused me of being abusive.

And none of this was provocation on your part?

You THINK you know everything, even what I am thinking and you put words in my mouth that I never said or even hinted at them.
You clearly and very strongly hinted that you do not think you should have to learn how to do things, and that the only thing this site is for is to tell you what to do without you having to understand it.

You are just wrong and you don't admit you have an attitude problem.
What I have is an attitude you don't like because it clashes with what you think you should be allowed to prescribe here.

I just asked a question for God's sake and you call me ignorant,
"Ignorant" means lacking in knowledge or education. So since you are quite clearly lacking in knowledge of electrical circuits and components, and are lacking an education in same, it's an apposite word.

But just as you don't see why your ignorance of electrics should be a bar to you working on them it looks like you don't see why your ignorance of what the word means should be a bar to you complaining about my use of it.

that I haven't learned a single thing in don't know how many months, that I refuse to learn, that a I fully deserve a lecture. That is ridiculous.
I would like to fit a light switch I bought and which has L on top and L1 and L2 at the bottom. There are 2 cables getting in: a twin and earth from probably the mains (brown and blue) + another twin and earth going to the light probably (again brown and blue)

How do I connect the cables in the light switch to make them work.
How can you disagree that that shows ignorance of how a simple switch works?

I tried a couple of combinations but I either tripped the MCB or didn't work at all (no light in the hallway).
How can you disagree that at some point connecting Live and Neutral to the switch shows ignorance of what it does?

So come on then - it's 4 months down the line, and you are still asking how to connect up a simple switch, so just what have you learned since then?

I'm not criticising you for not learning, I'm criticising you for thinking that you have no need to learn, and that anybody who dares to suggest otherwise has an attitude problem and is being disrespectful and abusive towards you.

This is the last post I am making, you don't deserve to spend my time to argue with someone who knows everything and treats others with disrespect. I just pity you. You might be great at electrics but you need to learn a lot about people.
I know a lot about people - you are not the first one here who gets bent out of shape when they get told things which conflict with their preconceived ideas about what they should be told.

I am an IT guy that wanted to LEARN lots of stuff.
I repeat - you want to DIY electrics, so what have you learned since the last time you tried it in ignorance and had problems?

I THINK a lot more than you
Now who's making assumptions?

and last time I had my IQ evaluated it was 169 - who are you to give me a lecture on what I didn't learn and how erroneous views I have.
Well, if you erroneously think that an IQ score is relevant, I'll answer "someone with a higher score than that".

And by the way, In January I am starting an electrical course to become part-P qualified.
And I genuinely wish you success.

Do yourself a favour - when you've finished, think back to now, and think what your as-it-will-be informed opinion is of people doing electrical work when they don't even know how a switch works.

You may want to check your course... there's no such thing as a part P qualified electrician - Part P is a section of the Building Regulations

Some of these courses charge you a fortune for effectively nothing. I'd hate for you to waste your time and money

SB

Ahhhh the Part P week.....................
Old boss sent two lads on it thinking they would become sparkies. Well that bit was true!
One rang me up and asked where the red wire went. Told him to turn everything off and go back to the factory.

Lesson here? Slap your boss if he thinks a 500 quid course produces an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back