10.5kw shower installation project.. 'Planning'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a semi detached rented property, it is privately owned by our landlord but managed by a housing association. We can install a shower but have to meet the necessary installation regulations. If not it could affect our landlords liability and buildings insurances.
During research into this project it could be that I have to have my work inspected and signed off by a qualified electrician to meet my landlords requirements. I have installed electric showers in previous homes but I was the owner and although my installations were sound, I'm not sure they met all the necessary regulations. I have a reasonable understanding of domestic electrical wiring, though not qualified!
Once the shower is fitted, it is recognised as a permanent fixture of the property and I can't take it with me if I move on. For that reason I want to keep costs to a minimum
The fitting of a shower unit is a project I intend to carry out sometime in the near future. I believe it is best to have a solid set of work plans!
I welcome all advice and critique and if anyone has better ideas then please share them with me.

THE CONSUMER UNIT AND METER.
I intend to fit a separate 50amp consumer shower RCD unit adjacent to the main consumer unit and connect the shower unit tails into the main consumer unit mains in-feed. I understand the service fuse will need to be removed and the electricity company will have to do this and connect the shower tails. I need to have a service fuse seal intact.

EARTH AND BONDING.
I intend to connect the shower consumer unit to the main consumer unit earth and bonding point.

UNDER THE BOARDS.
The floorboards on the upstairs landing and in the box room will have to be lifted and 10mm cable routed. What regulations exist concerning proximity to gas pipes?
Cable will be laid to the pullcord switch point and then on to the shower unit.

PULLCORD LOCATION.
I intend to fit the pullcord outside of the bathroom.

THE WATER MAINS RISER.
The water mains riser is located on the same partition wall but behind the proposed location of the shower unit.

THE PROPOSED SHOWER LOCATION.
Eventually this wall will have black tiles fitted to complement a chrome finish shower unit. The cable will be channelled from the pullcord switch on the opposite side of the door. The water mains will feed in from the left with chrome pipe.

I appreciate any advice or tips....

Sponsored Links
EARTH AND BONDING.
I intend to connect the shower consumer unit to the main consumer unit earth and bonding point.
To the Main Earthing Terminal.

You may, if required by testing, need to connect the shower to any Supplementary Bonding in the shower room because any other circuits are not 30mA RCD protected..

UNDER THE BOARDS.
The floorboards on the upstairs landing and in the box room will have to be lifted and 10mm cable routed. What regulations exist concerning proximity to gas pipes?
Just not within 50mm.

Cable routing in the walls should be in the recognised zones and should not run through nor be covered by thermal insulation.

The new circuit should be tested 'properly' before energising to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

You could install a 100A isolator to which the incoming tails can be connected when the supplier disconnects the supply - for ease of installation.

Otherwise you seem to have covered everything.

This is notifiable work - to the LABC one way or the other.

THE CONSUMER UNIT AND METER.

I intend to fit a separate 50amp consumer shower RCD unit adjacent to the main consumer unit and connect the shower unit tails into the main consumer unit mains in-feed. I understand the service fuse will need to be removed and the electricity company will have to do this and connect the shower tails. I need to have a service fuse seal intact.

How were you planning to "piggy back" the shower tails onto the incoming feed?
You will need a " Henley"connection block to achieve this.

There looks to be a couple of spare ways on the existing CU and GE breakers are easily sourced.
Mind an RCD incomer isnt the best idea as a single fault will result in total power loss.
Might be better to replace the Cu with a dual RCD board or a main switch unit with RCBOs on each circuit.
The mains cable needs to be at least 50mm away from the gas pipework.

Sponsored Links
I was assuming (shouldn't really) that the Main Switch RCD would be 100mA S as supply is TT.

Could the OP please confirm or post a clear picture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back