10mm Shower Feed - Junction Box Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm installing a shower in my bathroom and have a 10mm cable fed from my consumer unit into the loft.
This cable is not long enough to reach the destination of where my show is going to go.

Is it OK to use a junction box in the loft to add another length of cable to the existing one? It will only be an extra 2 metres in length.

What junction box do I need to get?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be normal to use a local isolator so you should not need to run all way back to consumer unit you would only need to run to local isolator.
If the isolator is not fitted then why not fit one and use it as the junction box as well as isolator?
You are aware of Part P?

It runs to an isolator but that is close to the CU.
The easiest way for me is to join an extra 2 metre of 10mm in the loft

Work will be inspected prior to switch on and final connection.

It is normal to have a pull cord isolator in the bathroom/shower room itself. I haven't got a copy of the regs handy to check if it's a requirement, but I suspect it is (I'm sure someone will confirm whether it is or not shortly), so you may want to add one otherwise you will likely be told to at the point it's inspected by building control anyway...

Sponsored Links
Indeed - I'm currently trying to get mine to accept that they're meant to sort out any inspection/testing required, and not require me to get someone in and pay for it in addition to the building notice fee...

Also trying to explain to them why they can't tell me I have to send them a BS7671 cert completed by a qualified spark for work I've done myself...

I think the rules only apply for mechanical maintenance “537.3.2.4 A device for switching off for mechanical maintenance shall be so placed and durably marked so as to be readily identifiable and convenient for the intended use.” Although it is normal to comply with the “convenient” requirement for all isolators. Can’t really see the point of fitting the isolator near the consumer unit. You have not said if it already has RCD protection which has been required for some time but as to joining of cables of course a junction box can be installed in the loft but the types that with take 10mm cable are a bit on the big side and if you don’t have a local isolator you could kill two birds with one stone that was what I was trying to say.
As to local building control yes I realise there is a problem getting them to do the testing and the Part P document seems to contradict itself. It has been debated on here before as to if the LABC should be issuing paper work. They will need under the electricity at work act (as the inspectors are of course at work) to have made a written report, but not sure if they need to give you that report, although under the freedom of information act I would think they would, although they may be able to charge you for a copy. As usual nothing will happen until someone gets injured. Then it will be up to the courts to decide. And some poor council guy will likely be blamed although really it should be someone in White Hall would drafted the regulations but they are bullet proof.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back