110v multiple sockets hard wired ?

I've got a 10KvA tranny in my workshop feeding a few sockets around the place, and a main isolator by the door. It works really well.

Sponsored Links
not a direct answer, but you could consider sockets on retractable reels - solves the problem of trailing cables.

Like this but for 110V and suitably rated even when rolled up.
http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/...10mtr-1-x-230v-socket/p-e13951pd.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. To a "normal" person then great, but how do i put this? ummm, 99% of what im trying to train are not normal. Young kids that are really deprived of common sense and retractable leeds would end up with kids trapped in them.

Hence im trying to find a system where them have just enough flex attached to a tool to keep them in the training bay, any longer then we have people tripping over, cutting through cables, attached to others clothing etc.

A few months ago we had a fire, the fire was started because one lad put down a heat gun on the floor still turned on (yep stupid but this was just the start) Then the other lad sharring his training bay also put his heat gun down and still on. He put it down behind the other heat gun so that it was blowing hot air direct into the other one. The first heat gun set fire . So what did they do ?

Well they then kicked off into a big argument of whos fault it was. Not - lets turn the power off or hit the fire alarm, maybe shout a instructor, grab C02 fire extinguisher maybe? No lets stand and argue whos fault it is. The fact that both guns was going to cause a fire either way didnt enter their minds, let alone trying to do something about it like raise the alarm.

I might add that these apprentices had only just spent a few hours previous about H+S and what to do when there is a fire.

Trust me, im dealing with a totally different league most days.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like emergency stop buttons would be a very good idea then!

It sounds like emergency stop buttons would be a very good idea then!

yes mate. Its never been specified before or really mentioned. But thanks to you lot talking about them my next proposal will be stop buttons to all areas, discussed it today with other trainers as it happens and they all agreed we should have them.

I was going to start a new thread. But as you have brought up again -

So what type of stop button should i be looking for ? do they do key ones also where a key is needed to reset them?

Im thinking for the 240v areas at moment.

There's two types. You either have a key on every stop button, or a master reset at a convenient place such as a staff only area.

I favour a key on each button as you are forced to go see there isn't actually a hazard in that area before resorting the power, rather than just switching it back on again.

You also need to consider any machinery which would be dangerous to be started without warning when you reset the e-stop such as moving parts or something which gets hot, and prevent this automatically starting.

Any recommendations on what type to purchase for 240v. Yes i want key reset.

I can see another few miles of cable going in ! Had add on to alarm system today and amazed to see 1 km of cable go in .

Will have to speak to sparky as im not sure if the location of the kill switches will give issues on cable size due to vote drop etc from the main CU unit's in the different areas. From the way i think they work it will mean another 100 meter of cable going in on rings that the sparky calculated we are close to max as it is.

Or do these switches use some sort of remote to CU maybe?

Im presuming that the switches will need to have both ends of the ring going into them to kill power before they get to sockets?

I find it strange that a business like a training centre doesn't have relationships already with a few trusted local electrical contractors.

I find it strange that a business like a training centre doesn't have relationships already with a few trusted local electrical contractors.

I find it strange that there are so many crap sparkys around the Birmingham area. We have been through loads of them.

Yes we are a training centre but we dont train electrics. We are a dedicated flooring training centre.

However we have found a sparky we are happy with so far. As above im trying to learn about different systems etc so when i speak to the sparky i have knowledge of what im looking for and can say " can you install a Blah Blah system ?

If i dont know what to ask for then the sparky will struggle for sure. Hence im asking on a advice forum to hear everyones views on different systems so i can decide for myself what system i want to ask for. If my sparky can come back with a genuine reason why not to go with a certain system then i will listen to him also obviously.

I get the idea that this forum should be locked for trade only going on your input for you to kick of a argument and disagreement with fellow forum users. Almost every post i have read on here involves yourself (ban-all-sheds) picking fault and arguing other peoples replies. I get the idea that your fellow sparkys look up on you like that skid mark that a previous toilet user has left for all to see and how they are capable of leaving a skid mark of pooh pointing to pebble dash on the underside of the toilet seat. In truth we all wish we was never confronted with the sight. Just like your posts. There just a load of crap no one wants to see.

I get the idea that your fellow sparkys look up on you like that skid mark that a previous toilet user has left for all to see

That's not the right way to get helpful advice.

If there are posts you don't like, just ignore them.

Any recommendations on what type to purchase for 240v. Yes i want key reset.

I can see another few miles of cable going in ! Had add on to alarm system today and amazed to see 1 km of cable go in .

Will have to speak to sparky as im not sure if the location of the kill switches will give issues on cable size due to vote drop etc from the main CU unit's in the different areas. From the way i think they work it will mean another 100 meter of cable going in on rings that the sparky calculated we are close to max as it is.

Or do these switches use some sort of remote to CU maybe?

Im presuming that the switches will need to have both ends of the ring going into them to kill power before they get to sockets?

The e-stops are run in as a seperate normally closed series circuit so if the wiring develops a fault the circuit fails safe, then one or more contractors are installed in or adjacent to the dist board the controlled circuits are fed from to disconnect them when an e-stop is opened.

You will need a good industrial electrician to install this for you. It may be beyond the capabilities of a commercial electrician and certainly beyond a domestic sparks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back