12 volt car power "synthesiser"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does one of these exist? i was wondering if it was possible to power my car's 30-60amp 12vDC amplifier in my house from the mains, using a suitable transformer. I haven't seen any available, but is such a device feasible? I was taught at school that when voltage decreases, current rises in proportion. Why then is the market flooded with 1amp bell transformers and 800mA "universal" wallwarts? :?: why can't you get a 2amp bell transformer for 2 bells?

i will always remember my physics teacher making a transformer from a couple of sets of windings, and plugging it INTO THE MAINS while constantly flicking the room's RCBO into the on position :eek:

Working it out, based on the above theory that current and voltage are inversely proportional, at 12V, 60A (max), my transformer would need a 230V 3Amp input, then converted to DC on the output.

Sponsored Links
you can get them, but to draw 60A is gonna be expensive.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:
i was wondering if it was possible to power my car's 30-60amp 12vDC amplifier in my house
Why on earth would you want to?
to irritate the neighbours . . . ;) but on a more serious note, i do miss it's ability to produce warm low bass notes, cant wait to get it into a new car - i had only just fitted it. I wasn't wanting to pay over the odds for anything, so i think i'll leave it in an inactive state for now

crafty1289 said:
I wasn't wanting to pay over the odds for anything, so i think i'll leave it in an inactive state for now

Why not put a car battery in the house temporary and run it from that?
Cheap and chearful but effective

pdcelec said:
crafty1289 said:
I wasn't wanting to pay over the odds for anything, so i think i'll leave it in an inactive state for now

Why not put a car battery in the house temporary and run it from that?
Cheap and chearful but effective
wouldn't last very long if i were to draw even 30amps from it though.

wouldn't last very long if i were to draw even 30amps from it though.

Your audio amplifier may require 30 or 60 amps peak but will use much lower average currents, so I think you would find it would last for ages from a well charged healthy battery. It is the perfect supply for an audio amplifier. Very low impedance and no AC hum.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a mains power amplifier than build a 12V 60amp power supply.

[url=http://www.avrev.com/equip/lexus470/index.html]audio video revolution website[/url] said:
The GX470 SUV features an eight-cylinder, 235-horsepower engine, carries a base price of $44,925 and can be had with a Mark Levinson sound system starting at $51,689

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: $6764 for a stereo? Are these people mad? do their customers own money trees?

ps. it is really rather tricky to get a hyperlink in the title of a quote like that :confused: i was just being clever ;)

Take a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-current-...560004182QQcategoryZ40004QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know it's only 1.5V, but if the output is floating, or could be made floating, you could put 8 in series and get 12V.

I know it's just one item for sale, but this guy often has multiples of what he sells, and just puts them up one at a time.

He's also got this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APC-2400-W-3K...825662631QQcategoryZ75521QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - if they are wired up in 12V blocks you could tap into the batteries to run the amp, and then use the charging circuitry when you're not using the amp. You could do the same with any UPS, but this one looks fairly meaty.

Also, he is quite knowledgeable - if you contact him with your requirements he might be able to identify some of his stuff that would do the trick.

Or

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back