12V LIGHT PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I turned on our bathroom lights yesterday evening and only one of the 6 12V 50W bulbs came on. I've changed one bulb and confirmed that it's not a faulty bulb. I hope its not the transformer as it means lifting carpets and flooring to find it! Any ideas anyone please? :?: :idea:

Sponsored Links
so not only do you try and hijack a post covering the exact same problem, which already has the answers you seek in it, above the post you made, you then re-post the same question as a new topic and expect a different answer to the ones in the othe post..?

you have either a loose wire, a blown fuse / thermal overload, a duff transformer or a bad lamp connector...

without being there to do the job for you it's up to you to investigate.

Col Jack. I wasn't sure if posts added to old threads would be flagged up for email so created a new one. Sorry to have upset you. I did not see an answer to my specific question though otherwise I would not have posted.

guess i'm having a bad day, so if Ioffend..... tough... :D :LOL:

the point is, you have a 12v system, and the advice given on the other post was...
Crafty said:
Pull the wire that the bulb attaches to - see if theres a transformer attached to it. If there is, replace said transformer.

If the fitting is solid (no dangly wire), simply pull it from the ceiling and if a transformer falls out after it, there's the culprit.

However, as bathjobby said, if may be a dud bulb

and

RF Lighting said:
If it is a 12V downlighter then is is not unknown for the lampholder to burn out. These are dead easy to replace and cost about 12p

these are your answers and were directly above your post..

in your case it;s probably a multi output transformer, part of a kit, that has gone..

Sponsored Links
Thank you. It is a muti. I did see that post and didn't think it applied as the transformer is far too big to be pulled through the tiny lampholder hole. And is is screwed to a ceiling joist as well.

remus said:
Thank you. It is a muti. I did see that post and didn't think it applied as the transformer is far too big to be pulled through the tiny lampholder hole. And is is screwed to a ceiling joist as well.

This is exactly why they make small electronic transformers, without mounting holes, that are able to be pulled through downlight holes. Its also why they make mains downlighters. :LOL:

:D Crafty, thank you, I'm obviously behind the times. I've dismantled part of the loft and found 2 transformers, one with one light - which explains why one works. There is a second transformer with the rest on. I can only get to one bulb, the one that works as I moved the tank on to the area where the others are. I'll try and replace the transformer. Thanks all for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back