12V Portable battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has asked if he can get a stand alone hand held rechargable 12v portable battery that has a point for a cigarette lighter........looked everywhere but cant seem to find one..........any info will be great

Sponsored Links
do you mean has a cigaret point on it or able to charge from a cigaret point ??
if the latter dont think a cigaret point will charge a big battery
if it will it will be slowly [10 or more hours]and only with the engine running

Fag lighters draw one hell of a current, and therefore any portable battery would have to have quite a high amp / hour rating to make it last for any amount of time....however, those booster / starting battery kits would do the job, and lighter sockets are available at motor factors.
Check out Machine Mart 010310910 and change the plug for a socket?
John :)

do you mean has a cigaret point on it or able to charge from a cigaret point ??
if the latter dont think a cigaret point will charge a big battery

Sorry did not make it clear ,it is one where you plug a cigarette lighter into it to receive a current

Sponsored Links
In other words, a 12v battery that can be charged from a car cigarette lighter socket?
Maybe a motorbike battery with a lighter plug connected to its terminals?

Fag lighters draw one hell of a current, and therefore any portable battery would have to have quite a high amp / hour rating to make it last for any amount of time....however, those booster / starting battery kits would do the job, and lighter sockets are available at motor factors.
Check out Machine Mart 010310910 and change the plug for a socket?

Cheers, just seen it and it looks like what he needs but are there any that come with the correct plug?

It would be easy enough to replace the plug for a socket, I guess....the plug would enable a car battery to be charged up via the fag lighter socket, which is why its designed like that.
For one of these kits to be supplied with a plug ready attached could have a safety issue maybe - live terminals and all that!

All I can see are crocodile clip outlets though rather than a cig lighter socket - unless I'm missing something!

All I can see are crocodile clip outlets though rather than a cig lighter socket - unless I'm missing something!

John, I says a 12v outlet...I think there is one next to the battery sign on the top line underneath where it says powering....but its not very clear

I think that looks like a reset button, but can't be sure......there's also some sort of outlet on the right hand side, near the red switch.
Maybe worth a run to Maplins just to check it out!

look on the right hand side of the pic, under the cover is a 230V sockets (via an invertor) and a 12V cig lighter type socket.

most of these things seem to have a lighter socket on, for powering tyre inflaters etc.

that one costs abit more than alot, presumably because of the invertor, theres a few things around that will suit your needs, look out for power packs, even lidle and aldi have them in occasionally.
biggest question is, what do you need to power form it, the cheaper, smaller ones only tend to have small batteries, 7-14AHr is about the norm.

Sponsored Links
Back