15 amp max in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I think I've been defeated here and I'm going to have to call an electrician in...

I was about to purchase a 4600 watt American sized tumble dryer which I know needs hardwired in.
I checked the small consumer unit in the garage today and there are two fuse holders. Both rated at 15 amp max but one wired with 15 amp wire for the sockets and the other with 5 amp wire for the lights.
When I pulled out the fuses I can see that the part they plug into (not sure of the name) also states max 15 amp so I can't just put a bigger fuse in by the looks of it.

Is there anyway I change this - the dryer is going to pull 20 amps or am I going to have to get an electrician?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210226_161119.jpg
    20210226_161119.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210226_161130.jpg
    20210226_161130.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
You're going to need an electrician - it's pretty likely that the whole feed to the garage will need replacing, from house consumer unit all the way to the garage, including the cabling.

I agree you do need an experts survey and advice on this one. That installation is very old and will require upgrading, a new consumer unit in the garage at the very least.
I look at the size of the feed from the house and THINK it's possibly big enough for the upgrade but at this distance I'm not disagreeing with Davelx.

I agree you do need an experts survey and advice on this one. That installation is very old and will require upgrading, a new consumer unit in the garage at the very least. I look at the size of the feed from the house and THINK it's possibly big enough for the upgrade but at this distance I'm not disagreeing with Davelx.
I would also not disagree.

However, that incoming cable looks as if it is not less than 2.5mm², in which case I would be more inclined to say that it would 'probably' (rather than 'possibly') be adequate for the OP's minimum needs. However, what is happening at the other end of that cable will almost certainly need attention (OPD-wise). An electrician is certainly required.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

At the house end, the cable goes into another small CU similar to the one in the garage and then into the main fuse board.
I just opened up the one in the house and there is one 20 amp fuse therefore the cable to the garage must be rated to withstand at least 20 amps. As luck would have it, this is the amount I need to run the dryer

If you're all saying there is no DIY way for me to change the 15 amp to 20 amp on the garage side then im happy to call in a professional.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-184003_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-184003_Gallery.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 116
If the cable to the garage is 2.5mm2 cable, you may be able fit a 25 amp MCB at the house end, and compromise a bit at the garage end with a 20 amp for the machine, 16 amp for sockets and 6 amp for lights.

To do this you would need a new consumer unit/garage only switch fuse unit at the house end, and a new 3 or 4 way consumer unit at the garage end.

That's keeping the existing cable to the garage, if it is 2.5mm2 cable.

Hopefully it's bigger than that, an electrician could tell you.

If you can upgrade the garage cable, then you won't be so limited.

If the cable to the garage is 2.5mm2 cable, you may be able fit a 25 amp MCB at the house end, and compromise a bit at the garage end with a 20 amp for the machine, 16 amp for sockets and 6 amp for lights.
Agreed about the second bit but, judging from the photo, I don't think that the house CU "does" MCBs :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes, that is why I mentioned a new consumer unit/garage only switch fuse unit at the house end. :)

I checked the small consumer unit in the garage today and there are two fuse holders.
Those fuse holders are at least 50 years old, and very likely contain asbestos.
Not suitable for any purpose.
The house fusebox also requires attention, and not just because of the massive hole busted in the lid.

Yes, that is why I mentioned a new consumer unit/garage only switch fuse unit at the house end. :)
Quite, and that would not, in general, be a bad idea. However, if the only immediate wish is to get a supply for the dryer, that would be quite a lot of work to achieve it.

Kind Regards, John

There is not a single RCD in any if the photos. That’s a must have these days, and not just for the garage either. As above, there’s work needed in several areas, you need to get a registered and competent electrician to advise you.

Thanks everyone.

Without previously fully realising that the sockets in the garage were only wired into one 15 amp fuse, I have been running an old 90's hotpoint washer (2.8kw) and and 80's dryer (2.6kw) from this circuit at the same time for ages without any problems.

I do agree with you all though - a consumer unit upgrade is now on the agenda for this year, including the garage.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back