1950s floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're buying a 3 bed semi built in 1955. Will the solid downstairs floor generally contain any insulation? Its an ex council house we think.

We are doing a full refurbishment of the house, possibly doing wet UFH in the kitchen/diner, which I know will involve excavation. I'm wondering if it'll be worthwhile excavating the whole lot for UFH and insulation, since piping to radiators will always be tricky with solid floors.

Sponsored Links
Probably not. The insulation we put into floors these days (polystyrene, expanded PU and ceramic beads, etc) are generally only found in houses from the 1980s onwards. What you may have instead is white asbestos fibres which were commonly used to prevent cracking of cast and poured concrete (in the same way that polyethylene or nylon fibres are sometimes use today) as well as improving moisture resistance (no polyethylene dpm then). So have a couple of samples tested before going mad with a breaker. Despite what some people say you cannot discern these fibres visuslly - the only way is to have a UK lab test for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should i also get it tested if I intend to chase heating pipes into the floor? I'm guessing the answer is yes. What might i have to pay for this?

Sponsored Links
Look up asbestos testing services for the answer. Disturbing materials containing asbestos will contaminate other areas, so you need to take precautions if you know that you are handing/digging it. Council properties were always far more likely to have asbestos-containing materials incorporated in them although most councils would have done an asbestos survey on their properties so there may be one on file for your house, or the vendor may have one from that time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back