1950's roof overhaul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having our old wooden fascia soffits and gutters replaced soon. And the other day I noticed the roof rafters have a some water marks where it looks like water is ingressing higher up and running down.

There is a considerable amount of moss on the roof and it could do with an overhaul, felting, re battening and tiling.

The fascias and gutters are being done in a week, but I'm hoping the rafters that they screw to will be okay to keep when the roof is overhauled?

Anyone got any advice, or price estimates for the roofing work?

It's 2 bed semi, hip style roof.

Sponsored Links
It would make more sense to do the roofline and re-roof at the same time.

I know it would ideally be done at the same time but the gutters are an urgent problem... Leaking would be an understatement!!!

We are not even sure to what extent the roof needs repairing. It may just need new hips and moss removing :)

Anyone got any advice, or price estimates for the roofing work?

It's 2 bed semi, hip style roof.
Plain tiles or conc' interlocking?

If plains - clay or concrete? Replace or re-use?

Are the hips ridged or are they bonnets/arris?

Sponsored Links
They are plain concrete tiles.

Not 100% with you on the hips but they are the semi cylindrical tiles... We are one of the only houses on the street to still have them on the roof :)

Been working on the house today and seems like there are quite a lot of rafters with water marks on them.

Is seems to be seeping through the tile gaps and on to the battens/rafters. Is this is just something we should expect with all this recent weather? There is a good draft in the attic so guessing to should dry out.

Don't want to panic unnecessarily and pay out for a new roof.

But the fascias, sofits and gutters are going to be done ASAP

Hmmm just found some plastic sheeting nailed to the rafters behind the fibreboards above the purlin!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back