1970's Floor Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have brown flecked brittle floor tiles fixed to concrete, under our carpet, I suspect containing asbestos to some extent (and have read the adhesive could also contain it). I think it is likely they are "Vinyl composition tile (VCT) [also commonly referred to as vinyl asbestos floor tile]"

This has carpet grippers nailed to it around the perimiter of our lounge. What options do we have ref replacing the carpet as it is causing us a lot of worry. We are even concerned lifting the carpet/underlay and getting a carpet fitter in will disturb asbestos in the tiles/dust eg grippers coming away and having to be replaced/refixed, using a knife to cut carpet to size cutting into the tiles etc. Some tiles do have cracks / damage noticed when lifting up the edge of the carpet in the past.

We also considered putting wood / laminate flooring over the floor, on top of underlay, but again would have to lever out the carpet grippers which are nailed and possibly in some cases screwed down.

It is difficult to get advice that isn't biased from asbestos removal companies etc, but we are really concerned about any health risks to our family.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you 'guys' can give us. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The risk is negligible. The fibres are embedded in the tile composition and even if the tile is cracked it's unlikely fibres would be released.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back