1981 - Loft conversion No Regs & Planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 1900 terrace house with a loft conversion, this conversion has no building regs and has no planning permission as it was built in 1981 (before the regs I think). Normally this would have sent me running but it was a massive steal at an auction. I know it was built in 1981 as next doors was built then and the owner is still living there, the surveyor also reported it as being early 1980s.

I am looking to rent this property out do I need to get planning permission and building regs to market the 3rd room. I have been told by the local authority anonymously and before purchase, that it will not require planning permission and even if it did it is so old that it’s not enforceable anyway. Confirmation of this will cost £20 from the local authority; I don’t want to obtain this until I know the score regarding building regs.
Now Building Regs I imagine are going to be the pain, as there isn’t a hope in hell that its going to conform to modern regs as it stands. Don’t get me wrong its well built and a lot better than some I’ve seen. For example the joists have been replaced and the dorma window is of good construction. There is even a decent landing between the storage room and the bedroom, so I imagine fire access will be ok with a auto close fire door installed.

Bad points though insulation is poor, the party wall above isnt bricked up (you may remember my earlier post). I also imagine that for regularisation approval it will have to meet current regs and will have to have a lot of opening works for confirmation of the structure.

I am a structural draughtsman so plans I can and intend to do, as there is a lot of work to the rest of the house I will be doing this to coordinate everything and control spending. I am also the most part through my degree (day release) so I can do the calcs and get them signed off if required.
I’m at a loss as to the best course to go and as much as I know this isn’t the official port of call for planning advice. From experience, the official channels are best to go down once you have an idea of what you are pitching against.

Help much appreciated :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
As it was done so long ago you are immune from any prosecution whatsoever. You cannot even get regularisation from Building Control as the conversion was carried out so long ago. they will only deal with works carried out after Nov 1985.

Do you have specific questions, your post is not very clear.

It will largely depend on your morals as to what remedial work you wish to do. One could suggest that assuming the structure was sound (its not fallen down in 30 years) you could ensure that at least it met a reasonable standard in terms of fire safety, so a door to separate it from the rest of the house, ensure the ceiling achieves 30mins fire resistance, fit mains powered linked smoke alarms for example.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back