2 150W Halogen lights that stay on night and day..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for looking, have got 2 standard halogens that stay lit day & night on a 2 Level PIR motion detector....

Today I replaced 2 wall mounted halogen lamps that were broken and their PIR with like for like. 2 cables ran from the lights into the loft of my house and met at a brown circular J box. 2 wires ran back outside to the PIR from same J box. WHAT I DID....
Connected new lamps to old cables.. Black wire into N & Red wire into L & Earth into E on both lamps.
NEXT...
2 cables exit back from loft J box to PIR & have Brown & Blue wires inside but no Earth. Joined both Blue wires together and connected both to N terminal in PIR. Joined both Brown wires together and connected to terminal L1. Result - 24hour lighting. What have I done wrong please ?

Thanks & All the Best,

Stuart

Sponsored Links
The lights sound to be wired correctly.
The problem lies at the PIR.
You need to seperate the two brown wires, and carefully test them to find out which wire is permanently live.
The permanant live wire should connect to the terminal marked as 'live' or 'feed' or 'L' or something similar.
The other brown wire is the switched live to the lights. This should be connected to the terminal in the PIR marked as 'load' or 'SW' or 'L1' or similar.

There is a terminal block in PIR called L2 according to installation guide. will split the brown wires and do just that in morning.

Thanks - Much appreciated

Stu

Sponsored Links
could'nt wait till morning - it's been annoying, been up the ladder and split browns to L1 & L2 and it's working a treat now. Thanks very much for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back