2 Gang 2 Way Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm in the process of changing the light switches in my house. I'm just replacing like for like with more modern switches. All the switches I've replaced so far are 1 gang 1 way, so no problems there.

However, there is a two way switch in place - one single switch at the top of stairs and a 2 gang 2 way switch at the foot of the stairs, where one of these switches in the 2 gang operates the stairs light in conjunction with the switch at the top of the stairs.

My problem is that in the range of light switches I've bought, they do not do a 2 gang 2 way style for me to replace the existing switch with at the foot of the stairs. Best they do is a 2 gang 1 way.

Any suggestions or do I have to start again with a different style?

Sponsored Links
Hi.

I'm in the process of changing the light switches in my house. I'm just replacing like for like with more modern switches. All the switches I've replaced so far are 1 gang 1 way, so no problems there.

However, there is a two way switch in place - one single switch at the top of stairs and a 2 gang 2 way switch at the foot of the stairs, where one of these switches in the 2 gang operates the stairs light in conjunction with the switch at the top of the stairs.

My problem is that in the range of light switches I've bought, they do not do a 2 gang 2 way style for me to replace the existing switch with at the foot of the stairs. Best they do is a 2 gang 1 way.

Any suggestions or do I have to start again with a different style?
Yes

Answer is yes, as above.

However:
My problem is that in the range of light switches I've bought, they do not do a 2 gang 2 way style for me to replace the existing switch with at the foot of the stairs. Best they do is a 2 gang 1 way
What make/type are these switches, as a 2g 2 way is a commonly used type. Millions of properties will have the same switching arrangement for the stairs.

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall someone posting about the same problem with those switches a while ago.

£12 each and it's quite clear from the descriptions that none of them are 2-way.

You live and learn.

It's going to look odd if all the switches in the house are the same and there's this odd 2 gang 2 way one.
Okay do the manufacturers of these lights have a website you can access or contact number you could ring them on?
Contact the Ebay seller to see if they have a contact number or ask them the question you are asking us.
As others have said most touch switch control manufacturers make both 2way and intermediate switches so it is odd that 2gang 2 way switches are not included in their range but that may have something to do with the electronics built into the switches.

Up to you of course, but it might be far-sighted to save yourself some hassle when these (unecessarily, in my view) complicated switches go wrong, by just using conventional mechanical switches in the first place.

If not, then there are some very nice brushed steel conventional switches which are 2-gang, 2-way that surely would not look very much out of place with the fancy ones, which in this case, clearly do not meet your modest and standard requirements!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back