2 Gang 2 way switch replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have what appears to be an old style two gang two way switch at the bottom of the stairs, it is the only switch of this type in the whole house. I want to update it but the connections are different on the new 2W 2G switch. Please see attached for current wiring. Grateful if anyone could advise new wiring setup for new 2W 2G switch. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88 said:
Is it a photo? If so try here.

Davy

Its a drawing in a word document, can't take a decent photo as it is still all wired in. I'll try and explain. Behind the switch that controls the stair lights is a top connection common with red wire in, directly below is a blue wire and next to that a yellow. Behind the switch that controls the downstairs hall lights has two top connections (L1) Blue on the left and yellow on the right, and at the bottom (L2) Blue on the left and yellow right. This perspective as if behind the wall looking at the back of the switch the red wires that are part of these are connected separately of the switch. The downstairs hall lights can be controlled by two other switches elsewhere.

Its a drawing in a word document, can't take a decent photo as it is still all wired in. I'll try and explain. Behind the switch that controls the stair lights is a top connection common with red wire in, directly below is a blue wire and next to that a yellow.

That is a 2 way switch, the red, blue and yellow go the switch at the top of the stairs to make a way switch circuit.

Behind the switch that controls the downstairs hall lights has two top connections (L1) Blue on the left and yellow on the right, and at the bottom (L2) Blue on the left and yellow right.

The red wires that are part of these are connected separately of the switch. The downstairs hall lights can be controlled by two other switches elsewhere

This is an intermediate switch between the other two 2 way switches. It only switches the blue and yellow wires from the other switches, It does not affect the red wire which connects the commons of the other two switches and hence these reds are connected in a terminal block.

Grateful if anyone could advise new wiring setup for new 2W 2G switch.

Unfortunately a 2G 2W switch is not the right one for this location. You need an intermediate switch and a 2 way switch. You can use an intermediate as a 2 way so if you can only get a 2 Gang intermediate that will be OK. When you have it let us know the marking on the back ( they vary between diferent makes ) and some one will tell you exactly which wire goes where.

bernardgreen said:
Its a drawing in a word document, can't take a decent photo as it is still all wired in. I'll try and explain. Behind the switch that controls the stair lights is a top connection common with red wire in, directly below is a blue wire and next to that a yellow.

That is a 2 way switch, the red, blue and yellow go the switch at the top of the stairs to make a way switch circuit.

Behind the switch that controls the downstairs hall lights has two top connections (L1) Blue on the left and yellow on the right, and at the bottom (L2) Blue on the left and yellow right.

The red wires that are part of these are connected separately of the switch. The downstairs hall lights can be controlled by two other switches elsewhere

This is an intermediate switch between the other two 2 way switches. It only switches the blue and yellow wires from the other switches, It does not affect the red wire which connects the commons of the other two switches and hence these reds are connected in a terminal block.

Grateful if anyone could advise new wiring setup for new 2W 2G switch.

Unfortunately a 2G 2W switch is not the right one for this location. You need an intermediate switch and a 2 way switch. You can use an intermediate as a 2 way so if you can only get a 2 Gang intermediate that will be OK. When you have it let us know the marking on the back ( they vary between diferent makes ) and some one will tell you exactly which wire goes where.

Many Thanks, I'll get one and post back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back