2 gang switch for 2 lights wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've seen other threads on this topic but they don't have the same wiring set up as I've discovered!

I'm replacing a 2 gang switch with 1 controlling an outside light and 1 a kitchen light.

When I took the old faceplate off there was a live (red) going into L1 , the a short piece of cable linking the 2 come then the other live (red) went into the com on the other switch. I've replicated this on the new switch but only the outside light will come on.

I've tried switching the lives itnthe other L1 but still only the outside comes on.

Both lights worked before I took it off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1518258292149144493557.jpg
15182583199911796248372.jpg

Sponsored Links
That yellow is more than likely not an earth. Your earths are connected to the backbox.

That yellow is more than likely a switch live, where was it connected before?

It is most likely that the yellow is the Switched Live to the lamps that does not work. If so then the yellow needs to go to L1 or L2 of the switch with two reds in the COM.

Of the switch has a metal front plate then the earth wires ( Green/Yellow) should go to the Earth terminal on the switch to ensure the metal front plate is Earthed

Oh Yeah haha, So that yellow needs to go into L1 on the second side! Cheers pal.

I should earth the switch though too right?

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I've seen other threads on this topic but they don't have the same wiring set up as I've discovered!

I'm replacing a 2 gang switch with 1 controlling an outside light and 1 a kitchen light.

When I took the old faceplate off there was a live (red) going into L1 , the a short piece of cable linking the 2 come then the other live (red) went into the com on the other switch. I've replicated this on the new switch but only the outside light will come on.

I've tried switching the lives itnthe other L1 but still only the outside comes on.

Both lights worked before I took it off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 136247 View attachment 136248
Whoa. I dont think the yellow is likely to be the earth connexion.
Are there any other switches involved (2 way like on the stairs)

My best guess is the yellow is the second light and goes to the vacant 'L1'.

YOU WILL NEED AN EARTH LINK FROM THE BACKBOX TO WHERE THE YELLOW IS CURRENTLY TERMINATED.

Edit,
OOPS sunray is much too slow... looks like you're already on it

You were very close to serious danger there. Please call an electrician for any future electrical work.

You were very close to serious danger there. Please call an electrician for any future electrical work.
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif
whssign.gif

Seriously, Alex - you really do not know enough to be fiddling with your electrics. Get plumbing wrong and you might get a leak, or even a flood. Get joinery wrong and your doors might stick.

Get gardening wrong and your plants might die.

Get electrics wrong and people might die.

You can learn - it isn't rocket science, but until you have learned, please don't DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back