2 immersion heaters can they share expansion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am installing a 2nd immersion heater in the floor below an existing one. the puppets will pass by the first one, can i run the expansion pipe into the one now servicing the existing cylinder. the existing one vents into an open tank in attic.

Sponsored Links
Maybe!!!

It all depends!!!

I think you should post this to GCHQ to see if they can decipher it for us.

He wants to know if he can use the existing expansion pipe on his cylinder to connect a second cylinder underneath.

I still say it depends though :D.

Could lead to all sorts of fun when someone tries to isolate one of the cylinders and it feeds from the vent on the other. Could also end up heating the upper cylinder from the bottom one by gravity.

Sponsored Links
You need to consider the worst case. Assuming both thermostats on both immersions (assuming one immersion heater per cylinder) fail, the water in both may boil and will certainly expand.

a. Is a single pipe capable of carrying the volume of water from two tanks.
b. Is the overflow pipe from the cold water cistern capable of disposing of this amount of water - almost certainly not, it will be sized for a 15mm inlet pipe.

I wouldn't do it. Use two vent pipes, and increase the size of or double up the cold water cistern overflow.

You also need to consider how the hot water cylinders are going to be fed with cold water, and whether the cold water cistern has enough capacity to keep two hot water cylinders fed.

modern immersion heaters have an overheat cutout as well as the thermostat, so are most unlikely to boil. The chance of both cylinders boiling at the same time is negligible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back