2 lights on a 2 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive got two lights in my front room that I want to connect up to a two switch fascia. I have 2 cables from the lights and one from the ring main. each switch has a com, l1 and l2. the black wires from all 3 cables have been shorted together with chocolate block. how should i wire the switch so that each switch operates one light independantly ?

Thanks to all for replies.

Sponsored Links
i take it you also have 3 reds?

it will be a case of trial and error

you need to connect the red from each light to L1

you will also need to connect the 3rd red wire to C and link this to the other C terminal (using the same size wire)

If you know which is the incoming live this is the one that needs to go to the C terminal

One thing that does worry me, you said "one from the ring main"

Please don't tell me it really does come from the ring main, as this is dangerous (unless it is via a fused spur) or perhaps it was your choice of words as in "ring main"

but since you have 3 blacks in "choc bloc" i am inclined to think it does come from the ring main

You were right in saying that my terminology was wrong. I had one live feed from a spur off the ring main.

I have now sorted the problem by commoning the two C's on the switches and putting the red wire from the live feed into these.

The two red wires from the lights I then put to the L2 on the switches and the now operate properly.

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links
This is a really old thread, but thanks to the search feature I was able to find the exact problem I was also having.

So really this post is to thank breezer for all your help, I noticed on my travels around this forum how you have helped many members, so credit where credit is due.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back