2 Way? - No way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to put a dimmer switch on what I thought was an existing one way switch at the top of my stairs. I have got two cables into the old switch box. One is two core and earth with the red cable going into the old bottom 1 way terminal and the black cable going into the other bottom terminal. The second cable has only one red cable and that is connected to the top Common terminal.
Whilst trying to connect, having switched off the power to the upstair lighting circuit, I find the red cable that was fitted in the 1 way terminal is still live. Might I have two way lighting to the downstairs hall light despite it being fitted with a one way switch?
Also, any help on how to wire up to a new dimmer switched marked ~/, L1 and L2. Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
since you turned off the upstairs mcb / fuse and it is still live indicates that it is fed from else where i.e downstairs.

You do indeed have two way switching, a switch with 3 terminals (as you said "red cable going into the old bottom 1 way terminal and the black cable going into the other bottom terminal. The second cable has only one red cable and that is connected to the top Common terminal. ") is for 2 way switching the single red wire should go in the top terminal and the two remaining wires (red and black of same cable) should go one each into L1 & L2 (doesn't matter which way round for L1 & L2)

Hi Spiked!,
Just want to point out for the benefit of other viewers, you cannot have a two way lighting sytem using a one way switch.
As you know a one way switch has only two terminals and a two way switch has three terminals which can be used for either two way or one way lighting
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back