2 way switch Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In response to breezer the other day. (Sounds like a philosophical argument)

Breezer mentioned that 2 way dimmers can be a real pain. Breezer or anybody else, i understand that it can be complexed but can you give me reasons as to why it is problematic.

Sponsored Links
search the forums

there was a "spate" of it people bought them then couldnt get them to work properly.

the icing on the cake was some one (forgot who) gave a link, that basicaly said the particular dimmer master / slave were almost "seconds"

I just think they are a pain, as thye casue so much grief, dont seem to last and are "expensive"

Can I connect a two way dimmer with a 2 way light switch? In this case if I used the switch to turn the light off and on, the light would come on at the level at which the dimmer is set ... wouldn't it? :confused:

I could then control the level of dimming from the main dimmer switch.

Mug-o-Latte (how did you come by that name?) what you say is true, how ever it does not take into account lazyness.

if you set the dimmer at one end of the room, joe public will then decide it is too dim / bright, but wants to adjust it from the end of the room they are at, so tey want a dimmer at each end, they then buy 2 2 way dimmers chnage existing switches then wonder whay they dont work, get the master / slave dimmers and cant get them to work either

Sponsored Links
Breezer,

I like large cups of milky coffee! :LOL:

From what I've read I don't want to go near 2x2 dimmers, master slave etc, so I thought a normal switch & 1 dimmer would be easier (and lazier). I could survive with 1 dimmer only, but when I come into the room through the other door I would have to walk all of 4m through the dark to get to the dimmer switch.

Energy conservation!

you wouldn't need to be in the dark, the other switch will turn the light on /off, but not adjust dimness (unless dim ness is at 100%)

In this instance then does the dimmer have to be a master or a slave?

i like this idea

No - just an ordinary 2-way dimmer.

The push-function works like a normal 2-way switch - it toggles COM between L1 and L2, and the rotary function controls the amount of dimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back