2 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double switch and a pull cord switch operating 2 lights. One of the lights is 2 way switched with the pull cord, and not working.
There is a strange bridging wire in the double socket, from the common of the working switch to L2 of the other switch.
Is this correct? Can anyone advise.

Sponsored Links
i am not an electrician but the wire you are talking about puts power to the other switch .....i think

The bridging wire is a common way of avoiding the need for multiple live feeds to a multi-gang switch.

All of the wires in the switch are likely to be live at some time - so be careful.

If all the switching was working once, and you can hear/feel a positive click when you operate them, they are probably OK, but the only way to be totally sure is to use a multi-meter (Power off and meter set to continuity or resistance).

Assuming it worked once upon a time, in order of probability:

Duff lamp (bulb to non-sparks)
Broken lamp holder
Flex broken/loose in ceiling rose
Cable loose broken in ceiling rose
Cable loose broken in switch
Dodgy pull switch
Dodgy rocker switch
Dodgy wiring.

Remember all the Lord had to say was, "let there be light". Obviously an architect!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back