2 zone heating system

Sponsored Links
There has been some really good salesmanship
Particularly to the Govt on the whole issue of condensing boilers, which do not turn out to be more efficient in real life use, and will never recoup their extra costs,

There has been some really good salesmanship
Particularly to the Govt on the whole issue of condensing boilers, which do not turn out to be more efficient in real life use, and will never recoup their extra costs,
I was talking to a friend who owns a woodland about theft of wood, and he asked about research into the use of wood burners. In most houses fitting them is extremely expensive, it would seem you are only allowed to drop 5% efficiency when changing a heating appliance. There are some DIY wood burners the rocket mass heater and one experimental unit which has issues with safety should there be a power failure, but in the main condensating wood burners are not made, the best wood burners after that are just on the edge with efficiency and to get it need to burn at a very controlled rate, bit like the old gas boilers on or off no output control. So they also need a heat store to act as a buffer so the wood burner can be used in the evening doors closed of course so ambiance is much reduced, and the heat stored to be used next day. Result looking at £1200 plus to fit a wood burner in a legal manor. Much of it not down to efficiency, but particulate emissions. And in many areas we still have the clean air act stopping use of coal and wood burners. (Charcoal and coke is OK)

So we are stuck with oil, gas, and electric. I use gas and we keep getting people wanting me to change my boiler, it is now some 30 years old, question one is will the new one last 30 years, answer is always no, so why change it for a less reliable boiler, I am told I will save money, but changing the boiler every 7 years is not going to save money. OK first change I may get a grant, but the rest I need to pay for. A heat recovery unit and a better fitting front door will save a lot more money.

I saw all the problems after my mother had a new boiler fitted, and no thank you. It seems the so called professionals have not got a clue, even I know your not permitted to suck water out of the water main, but they fitted a combi boiler to a power shower? I think that says it all, they are clueless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back