20amp light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room with no overhead lighting. The switch by the door controls a double 13amp socket where lamps can be plugged in. I would like to replace the existing switch with a brass one. There are 4 live and 4 neutral wires to the switch which has 4 large terminals to take them, a pair in each terminal. The switches I have found don't have 4 terminals. Anyone know what I need to ask for and where I might get one please?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a double pole isolator fitted where a lightswitch would normally go. That would make sense if you are switching a 2-gang 13A socket. The double pole isolator is probably on a ring main, which would account for two blue and two brown wires. The other two blue/brown would be the switched supply to you double socket, and maybe another socket as well, or possible a switched ring main? Also worth checking that the switched socket(s) is/are earthed, as you don't mention the earth terminal in the isolator. It might be difficult to get a brass switch to replace the one you have, but try an electrical wholesalers. If you use brass switches they MUST be earthed for safety.

Many thanks for your help. I went to a wholesaler as you suggested and he sorted me out with the switch.
Cheers, Martin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back