22mm or 15mm for new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting from scratch would 15 or 22 mm be better for plumbing a new house (1 bathroom, 2 shower rooms)

Is their an industry standard? most tap fittings seem to be for 15mm?

Sponsored Links
Hang on a minute - you're putting all the plumbing in a new house but you don't know the normal pipe sizes? That woud imply there's a lot more you would need to know. Or what?

Perhaps if you could tell us what you're actually looking at we could advise better.

larger boar of pipe larger amount of dead water to be run off before hot water gets through.

For combi multipoint or unvented systems 15mm would do most homes for hot.

Mains cold 15mm.

gravity hot/cold 22mm for bath, 15mm elsewhere.

No strong argument for using copper over plastic, except visual where it is to be seen.

nah I'm not putting it in. I'm just paying for it all. So when people come to me and say "I'll do it all for £50 in 15mm pipe" i can say no no diynot says 22mm is better.... or not as the case may be.

Sponsored Links
i can say no no diynot says 22mm is better

Don't be daft - do you really expect to argue with an on-site plumber on the basis of a grossly simple question on a website?
So if I tell you 50mm green pipe is best you're going to go with that?

We have no idea of your installation, the water pressures, mains pipe, flow rates you expect or anything. While the most common sizes may be fine, they may not.

Suggest you get 3 quotes and ask for explanations.

ChrisR said:

Don't be daft - do you really expect to argue with an on-site plumber on the basis of a grossly simple question on a website?

We have no idea of your installation, the water pressures, mains pipe, flow rates you expect or anything. While the most common sizes may be fine, they may not.

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

The trouble with the old green pipe is that some people smoke it!
Truck driving mothers, mental disorders, free plane tickets- you just couldn't make it up could you?

sai_2 said:
ChrisR said:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

sai_2, I really don't see why you should hijack this post because you have some problem with your mother's mental condition.

Read out loud what ChrisR has written, (perhaps HE has a medical condition, I doubt it though). Now, why do you find it so offensive? Are you so sensitive and insecure?

The world can be a nasty place, and the best defence against it is to have friends. Friends don't always put things in the sweetest language of the nursery, since instilling a sense of toughness may be better when having to deal with some mouthy, know-it-all who is trying to pass themselves off as a "plumber", and you are trying to tell them you know better on the basis of something you have read on the internet.

Please email me details of the flight you will be booking me on and I will come down and explain anything that is not clear. (PS I take my tea weak with milk, no sugar).

Sai seems to regularly upset people by the things he says!

He once referred to "crack smoking gas engineers"!

One of the replies given to that suggestion was:-

"""I personally dont know any crack smoking gas engineers, but obviously if anyone wants to challenge a comment you make, you consider them a 'crack-head'. Do you smoke crack yourself and know its side effects?

Your strike me as very odd! """

He apparently lives in Ealing!

Tony

I don't put oil through my hosepipe, but it's green.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back