240v to 110v does such an adaptor exist ???

Sponsored Links
Having looked at other replies likely the shaver socket is best normally 100 VA (watts) so at 30 watt three on each. I would agree the adds are misleading this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-230v-to-110v-300w-voltage-converter-vr05f states "switched mode no" so in spite of being called a converter seems likely a simple transformer.

But however you do it likely you will need to swap plugs or something unlikely to get a simple plug and go job.

Looked at advert and can't see if direct fed or if it uses a transformer of some kind. An LED is about 3 volt so must have something inside to reduce from 120 to 3 volt and what people are worried about is if that device is switch mode it may not like being plugged into another switch mode device.

sorry i am being a bit thick so what am i asking for in a hire shop because all i can envisage that is 110v is one of those big yellow things you see on buidling sites
what ever it is i am hiring i am guessing it will come with 3 pin plugs but 110 v so i just need to get 3>2 pin adaptors
If you hire a building site transformer it will come with yellow "CEEFORM" connectors. So you would need to either change the plugs on the lights or make an adaptor (e.g. get an american extension lead and change the plug).

Last edited:
Having looked at other replies likely the shaver socket is best normally 100 VA (watts) so at 30 watt three on each. I would agree the adds are misleading this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-230v-to-110v-300w-voltage-converter-vr05f states "switched mode no" so in spite of being called a converter seems likely a simple transformer.

But however you do it likely you will need to swap plugs or something unlikely to get a simple plug and go job.

Looked at advert and can't see if direct fed or if it uses a transformer of some kind. An LED is about 3 volt so must have something inside to reduce from 120 to 3 volt and what people are worried about is if that device is switch mode it may not like being plugged into another switch mode device.

its direct feed so i can only assume there is something in the lens head
the fact it is such low voltage/wattage i am most likely going to go down the route of a couple of the 40w adaptors my limited brain is flumoxed
only a 4w draw on each so they should be ok ???

i genuinly appreciate all the comments

Sponsored Links
What is a 40W adaptor? If it has a transformer something like this
q1e306xj3agp8mzk4zfm.jpg
then at 30W likely no problem other than no earth. If a simple converter plug then that will not work.

Having looked at other replies likely the shaver socket is best normally 100 VA (watts) so at 30 watt three on each.

No shaver sockets have terrible regulation. With zero load the 110v side typically gives 140v. With a low load who knows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back