28inch Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

I'm on here looking for a bit of advice.

We've got a 28inch front door with 2 stained glass windows that are all bowed & cracked.

I want to change it a normal wooden door so I purchased a 30inch door but every chippy I've spoken to has said you can't take that much off (2inches) without damaging the wood. Is this correct?

If this is true this gets me onto the next problem which is I can't find a 28inch door anywhere!

Any help on suppliers of 28inch doors would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi People,
I want to change it a normal wooden door so I purchased a 30inch door but every chippy I've spoken to has said you can't take that much off (2inches) without damaging the wood. Is this correct?
Probably but it rather depends on how the door is made; may also look rather odd!

If this is true this gets me onto the next problem which is I can't find a 28inch door anywhere! Any help on suppliers of 28inch doors would be very much appreciated.
Get one made;
http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk/door...ource=google&gclid=CMKCnenGtpsCFV8B4wodVUSpEA

There are several others, try Google.

Replacement external doors (& windows) must meet Building Regulations with regard to insulation & safety where glass is involved. Replacing your front door is notifyable building work unless you use a FENSA (or similar) registered installer. You will be asked to produce a certificate of compliance when you sell.

if the door is a good-quality one made of solid hardwood with deep stiles and mortice and tenon joints, you can cut an inch off each side (i did that)

however cheaper ones are often made of veneered rubbish, and will not be strong enough.

post a pic and tell us what you paid for it and what it is made of.

if the door is a good-quality one made of solid hardwood with deep stiles and mortice and tenon joints, you can cut an inch off each side (i did that)

however cheaper ones are often made of veneered rubbish, and will not be strong enough.

post a pic and tell us what you paid for it and what it is made of.

Yes, I've discussd it with a few people today & this is the problem I think! It is an Oak Veneer door from Wickes so it will be crap in the middle with a little bit of real wood around the edges.

OK then now that problems sorted anyone know any good (& reasonably priced!!) solid wood door suppliers?

Thanks for the help you 2.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back