3 Gang Dimmer - different connections.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so hello to all. I want to replace my 3 gang dimmer with a touch sensitive 3 gang dimmer. The connections are different on the back and I am confused. My old one is marked L1, L2 and C - my new one is marked Load, Slave and Live. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
providing no switches are two way
Live is live
load is the load to light
slave is unused

The old live may have been on L1 or L2
The switchlive load may have been on C
The other L1 or L2 if one way would have been left unused

As most normal dimmers work either way , there is a chance the wires could already be the wrong way round though!

you may need to prove what wire is actually the live in, this is sometimes linked across all 3 switches

connecting in reverse may damage the dimmer you have

If any are 2 way then consult the drawing as it is different then,

Thanks for the help. The circuit is one way. Which do you think is the live in? My dimmer button to the left has a black wire going into L1 and a red wire that bridges from C across to C in the middle button. The Middle has a red wire into L1 and a red that Bridges from C across to C in the right button. The right button has a a red wire going into C (as well as the bridging wire) and a further red wire going into L2. Could you tell me how I can connect this up to my new switch please?

It seems the lives are the ones in the C terms
Isolate power
Link them the same using the live terms on the new one
if you are sure there one way
switch 1 L1 goes to load
Switch 2 L1 goes to load
switch 3 L2 ? goes to load
Slaves all unused for 1 way

Ensure to draw diagram and mark well the wires first, once disconnected will be VERY hard to work out what was what and to REMEMBER WHERE the WIRES andlinks go
If switch is metal it must be earthed

The actual live in is in the C terminal of the right button with the links to middle and left button

It is essential you do the same across the three live terms of the new one with the correct same red wire feeding the links

Thanks again. Why a question mark after L2? Do you think it would normally go into L1?

As the other two were in L1, I was not sure whether you typed it wrong

With the old dimmer if it was ONE WAY it would not have mattered if either L1 or L2 were used

If it had been a normal switch it would have been upside down compared with the two others, this you would proberly not notice with a push dimmer though

Therefore If it was in L2 (with L1 unused ) then use that as the load on your new one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back