3 gang light switch, 1 light is 2 way other 2 are 1 way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 way light is for lounge, wires are red blue and yellow, 1 way is for cupboard and wires are red and black, other 1 way is for dining room and wires are red and black, the other two way switch in the room is connected up as follows, red is in com yellow in L1 and blue in L2, so i presume this will be the same in the light switch i am fitting, the other two lots of wires i prsume go in as follows red in com and black in L1, however this leaves the L2's with nothing in and my lighting not working grrrrrrr, any suggestions?????

Sponsored Links
2 way light is for lounge, wires are red blue and yellow, 1 way is for cupboard and wires are red and black, other 1 way is for dining room and wires are red and black, the other two way switch in the room is connected up as follows, red is in com yellow in L1 and blue in L2, so i presume this will be the same in the light switch i am fitting, the other two lots of wires i prsume go in as follows red in com and black in L1, however this leaves the L2's with nothing in and my lighting not working grrrrrrr, any suggestions?????

I trust you didn't draw a diagram, Before you disconnected them then Nick?

Was there any short strappers connecting all the coms together? and a connector block connecting all the Neutrals, perhaps?

No, stupidly!!!! All i k ow is there was two loose snippets of red wirere in there, that went beween some holes on the back of light switch, i have wired simple light switched before but this is crazy

Sponsored Links
No, stupidly!!!! All i k ow is there was two loose snippets of red wirere in there, that went beween some holes on the back of light switch, i have wired simple light switched before but this is crazy

This a wind up - yes?! :LOL:

Link all reds with the little bits of wire, with the exception of the red in the COM terminal. See how that does ya.

Would this work, one red in first com with yellow in L1 and blue in L2 in second box Red in L2 and in third box red in L2 and then link the coms with wire

somebody i know suggested my last post and said link neutrals with connector box, but there was definitely no connector box when i took it apart they were all in holes

Would this work, one red in first com with yellow in L1 and blue in L2 in second box Red in L2 and in third box red in L2 and then link the coms with wire

You must keep the 3 core (2 way) the wired the same at each termination. For some reason they were connected, with yellow in the Com. You can't change them around on one switch.

Do it the way Lectrician has said. As the original way was done in yellow, you'll have to link the 3 coms with the red two seperate, short "strappers".

You must keep the 3 core (2 way) the wired the same at each termination. For some reason they were connected, with yellow in the Com. You can't change them around on one switch.

Do it the way Lectrician has said. As the original way was done in yellow, you'll have to link the 3 coms with the red two seperate, short "strappers".

Sparks connect the Perminant Live to the Com. I have seen people (DIY and allegedly some sparks) connect the Perm Live to L2 and Even L3. (personally - I think that a DIYer had done them. :rolleyes: )

The usual way is to bring the perm live into the switch connected to switch 1 - then strappers connecting all coms, with the following Lives (Reds) in L1. The Neutrals would all be connected to a single Connector in the backbox. And all the earths would connected together in the earth termination attached to the backbox.

one of the reds from the red and blacks is the live feed.. the black from that core will probably be the lounge switched live..

the other red and black will both be switched lives for the cupboard and dining room..

no other way i can see from the description that it could be done..

no mention of red and black at the other 2 way switch so it has to be at this one..

does one of the switches work but the others don't?

photo's would help us loads..

both switches and connections at the light if you can..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back