3 phase cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have pick up some 3 phase armoured cable. But it only has 3 wires inside the amour. Is this correct? I guess a neutral, 2 lives and the outside of the cable is earth? Should there not be 4 wires inside it?

Sponsored Links
Thats because it is three-phase cable propper, just the 3 phases and an earthed armour, 4 core is generally for TP&N and 5 core generally gets used when you want to suppliment the earthed steel with copper.

Sponsored Links
Well, probably, it depends on how large the load is, how far the motor is from the origin of supply and if the motor is going to be fixed or movable.

Do you know how to test for phase rotation.

If you answer No to the above question you shouldn't be doing it yourself!
If you have a spark lined up and thought you'd supply him with the cable you came across, ask him.

no im not installing. I just want to make sure i picked up the correct cable for the sparky before he has a wasted visit.

Well, probably, it depends on how large the load is, how far the motor is from the origin of supply and if the motor is going to be fixed or movable.

Do you know how to test for phase rotation.

If you answer No to the above question you shouldn't be doing it yourself!
If you have a spark lined up and thought you'd supply him with the cable you came across, ask him.

Im not installing myself. Thats a sparks job. The run is 25 meters, the motor is fixed, the plate on the motor says 9amp - 240v and 6 amp- 420v. The cable i have is 4mm.

Without getting the calculator etc out- that sounds about fine to me, but, obviously its down to the installing sparks.

no im not installing. I just want to make sure i picked up the correct cable for the sparky before he has a wasted visit.

Then ringing your electrician, and asking him directly, would be better than messing about posting on a forum, surely?

in reply to above, well i like to make sure things are done correct as i have had a very bad expearence with a so called sparky that resulted in my house having to be rewired twice!

This is also a forum so people can learn, plus i like to understand what is going on. What is the point in having a forum otherwise?

ANYWAY.. Im a bit confused and did not want to confront the spark that has come out to quote when i dont know what im talking about but i was under the impression that the outer core of the cable was the earth? He has stated that the cable is fine but will need to run a seperate earth? This dont seem correct to me, does the earth not need to be located in the cable?

A seperate earth cable made from copper is a far better earth than the wire armour.The armour cable will have to be glanded which will mean a joint/connection making it less reliable the seperate cable will have less conections.Go with the spark,all the installations I have worked on we have ran seperate earths with armours.

A seperate earth cable made from copper is a far better earth than the wire armour.
The armour has a much larger csa - it's usually better than the cores.

The armour cable will have to be glanded which will mean a joint/connection making it less reliable the seperate cable will have less conections.Go with the spark,all the installations I have worked on we have ran seperate earths with armours.
Surely if you don't trust your ability to terminate the cable properly you should use one with enough cores to use one for the cpc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back