3 Phase PSCC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

My test meter does not allow me to measure between two phases of a 3 phase supply for determining PSCC.

I understand that the thing to do is test between each phase and neutral and then double the highest value to reach the PSCC (PFC in a 3-Ph as it will be the highest)

But...

How do I determine the PSCC on a supply that has no neutral, such as one that is supplying a load of 3 Phase motors.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The highest PFC will be at the origin where you should have the Neutral, unless you have a special set - up (eg phase shifting transformer)

How do I determine the PSCC on a supply that has no neutral, such as one that is supplying a load of 3 Phase motors.

Many thanks

Are you sure there is no neutral?
Do the motors have star/delta starters?

Frank

Sponsored Links
If you have no neutral and your tester won't do P-P then do a P-E and double it.

Top of range meters will measure phase to phase and if you really need the reading then hire a meter.
The other method is to measure where you have got a neutral then use R1 measurement to calculate the PSCC as one does with new installation before power is available.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think I was a little vague with my original post.

We are installing a line of Hydraulic presses at a well known lighting manufacturer, their guys or rather their sub-contractors did the armour installation and connection to my panel.

We fill out our own test sheets as part of the technical manual, I would generally have the PFC value given to me but the data isn't available at the moment.

Anyhow, I measured Earth loop impedance at the isolator to be 0.29 and doubled the PEFC as per Spark123's suggestion which gave me something like 1.6kA, it all became a little academic really when I realized the ferraz fuses in the panel have a 120kA breaking capacity.

Maybe its time to get a tester that can do 3ph PSCC as eric has said.

Cheers

You could hire mine. You only live round the corner from me I think :D

Thanks for the replies guys,
Maybe its time to get a tester that can do 3ph PSCC as eric has said.

If you are looking at upgrading your loop tester and funds can stretch, then I'd highly recommend looking at the megger LTW series, but by far the most friendly to use I've ever come across ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back