3 way dimmer to 2 way (with picture)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am putting a 2 way dimmer in to replace the 3 way currently in place.

I have two questions -
1) can I just tie off the far left wires on the brass dimmer - they control wall lights which I would like to remove and plaster over, (sealing all separate ends with connector and tape. IS it this easy or is this a circuit linked to something else?

2) I will put wires in exactly the same place but the labelling is different on the new dimer and old. please can someone advise which labels on brass - 1,2,3 correspond to on the new dimmer (L1,L2 and //)?

simple if you know but stumped if you don't and unable to progress.

thank you for looking and answering - if you choose to!!toby

Sponsored Links
It looke like
~/~ corresponds to 1,
L1 to 2 and
L2 to 3.

You should be able to disconnect and make safe the ends of the unwanted cable with choc blocs. Don't bother with tape - it just falls off over time, leaving a sticky mess.

However, you should isolate BOTH ends of ALL the cables feeding the wall lights. From the cables I can see at the switch, it looks like the power to the wall lights is fed from somewhere else, which you will need to find and isolate.

Abandoned live cables buried in the wall are DANGEROUS - especially if you or someone else later decides to put up a picture where the lights used to be!

thanks for the reply - I meant chocs on both end and tape over top...then bury...
I will try to isolate where the live feed is as I understand a hidden live cable is dodgy.

thanks again, much appreciated.

toby

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back