3-Way Valve Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the 3-way valve on our central heating system has been sticking (stuck on hot water - nothing coming to the radiators). Need to frequently manually move the valve. A common problem right?

Well - a few years ago I replaced the actuator (Danfoss Randall HSA3). That seemed to help for a while - but didn't fix things entirely so I had the valve body itself replaced. But now it's sticking again!

What could cause this recurring problem? The actuator is only 4 years old - the valve body probably 3 years old now. Could it be debris in the system jamming the valve?

It's sticking a couple of times a week - usually in the middle of the night so we wake up to a cold house!

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do it to look at the condition of the water.

A drinking glass is good for looking at the colour.

Tony

Water from a radiator bleed is pretty clear - perhaps a slight straw colour. Having said that I've no doubt there's a fair amount of debris lurking at the bottom of some of the radiators. Last time I drained the system was probably about 3 years ago - and got some nice black stuff out then. (Yes I put inhibitor in afterwards!).

But it sounds like you're thinking it could be debris? So perhaps a flush plus the installation of magnaclean is the answer?

(I should explain - my skill level is limited to removing, flushing and refitting radiators, gravity draining and refilling the system, and changing the actuator motor - anything else and it won't be DIY for me).

Sponsored Links
Those valves are prone to failure. My advice is to get rid and replace with a Honeywell v4073 3 port valve. That will require a part drain down and simple wiring connections.
If you can remove and replace a rad, then replacing the 3 port should be within your capabilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back