3"x2" cowboy blues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy,
i dont know how to start this post,firstly who the f*** built our house.over the weekend ive been slugging it trying to get the loft boarded out.what i have noticed is that next to the 2 beams that run across either side there is also a piece of 3x2(2 on opposite walls ) if that makes sense.on each piece there is a strip of metal(4mm.x1" )across athached to it. this strip runs the length of the wood till it gets to the end then bends up and carries on into the breeze block where it has gobbo slapped round it to secure;WTF :eek: i cant get my head around it.surely common sense dictates that this isnt going to offer much support to the brick work;minst you the way they have put the breeze block up is shocking to say the least :!: theres joints with nowt in :eek: ended up getting a bit p***ed cause i had to cut the chipboard to go round these effages and also one is obstructing the cold water header as its sagging a bit on one side. what does anybody think of this :?: i would like to remove one so the tank can be supported properly. cant help but think that it was a friday afternoon when they put these in.gaffer took one look at brick work and said whack some 3x2 in;nobody gonna see it when the other bricks are up,its not my f****** house!!!
thanks if someones still awake after reading this;the gripes over :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Are the metal straps you mention spanning several rafters before connecting into the block walls if so there should probably be three, one near the ridge one half way down and one near the bottom also there may be a couple on the ceiling joists too. Strangely enough they are sufficient to support the wall they tie the wall and roof sturcture together and stop the wall beeing sucked out by the possible vacuum caused by strong winds

hello and thanks for your reply chappers.
the 3x2 is about 3foot long and there is 4 in total -2 on each wall at opposite ends and are nailed to the ceiling joists .would i be able to remove one where the tanks are or leave it to be on the safe side.i wish i had a digital camera to take some piccies of the set up.

Are they the only four galvanised straps if so they aint doing much and yes you probably could remove them but couldn't be sure without seeing them.

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
Are they the only four galvanised straps if so they aint doing much and yes you probably could remove them but couldn't be sure without seeing them.

howdy pal,
yes they are the only 4 but there is no galvanisation.sorry i cant get any piccies,anyhow thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back