38CXI DHW goes cold then warms up & CH comes on no deman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glowworm 38CXI Combi boiler which is displaying the following symptons:

Hot water runs fine for approximately 2 minutes then goes cold.
After a further 2 minutes the water warms up again but not quite to full temperature. This has been gradually getting worse over the last month. At first i simply increased the water temp dial setting from ECO to full which cured the problem but only for about a week.

Once the hot water warms up the radiators heat up. this is with the central heating stat set to 5 degrees and with no other demand for heating. There is an unusual sound coming from the boiler during this phase. Cant really put my finger on it but sounds like water flowing through a part opened valve.
Boiler pressure while cold is 1.0bar. This increases to higher than normal 2.2bar when the rads heat up.
When central heating is called for normally the boiler displays the temperature which is normal.
I am thinking this may indicate an issue with the 3 way valve. The secondary heat exchanger was descaled around 12 months ago.

I would appreciate your thoughts so I have some idea of what to expect when I call out an engineer.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back