4 core or 6 core cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am thinking about installing a Texecom Veritas R8 alarm into my detached garage. Probably add a door contact to the door, as I assume PIR’s could cause false alarms with the heat and spiders etc (although I do have a pet friendly PIR).

Question is can I use 4 core cable for this? I’m only installing it as it’s sat in my garage gathering dust.

No external sounder, all there would be is panel, keypad, internal sounder and a door contact / or PIR (if you would recommend putting a pet friendly PIR in a garage).

Is 6 core used to add tamper protection, if I wasn’t really bothered about this could 4 core be used?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
6 core is the correct way of wiring a pir
2 for power
2 for alarm pair
2 for tamper pair.
You can use 4 core but not recommended.

personally 8 core is all I ever use, 6 core can be used as described but with an R8+ you could use EOL and only 4 cores would be required and you would have spares which is always useful.

DT recommended for garages, pet friendly pirs do allow short people to rob you.

Sponsored Links
It is also possible to use 4 core to achieve this, power, alarm & tamper

....... but I'm not going to tell how, old Eng. secret :censored:

Link 0v to tamper 12v to alarm ....or ...run 2, 4cores ...as it's only one pir

Last edited:
Used to do it on old Bentley alphas when only 4 core available at the detector ....not many eol panels around in them day s ! ...lol

As said above, 8 core, we never use 4 or 6, think about in 2 years time and you want to add another sensor or other!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back