4 lights 3 switches best way to wire them ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing some wall lights and want to update the wiring to 2 core and earth + change switch.

At the moment they're wired as follows

1 switch does ceiling light (ceiling rose in place but not being used for switch)

1 switch side wall light

1 switch two wall light.

I'm quite happy for the switching to remain as is, previously switched with 2 * 2 core cables (no earth) - 1 wire carrying live and other 3 as switched lives. These will stay the same just replaced with 2 * 2 core+earth.

Everything goes into a junction box to control the lights with the earth wires just twisted together outside the JB and one of the wires for the joint walls lights connected with a shrinkwrap connector thingy.

I'm OK with the mechanics of whats swtching what just wondered if there's a better way to wire them and if I should bring the ceiling rose into play to neaten things up

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use a 6 terminal junction box so all the connections have proper terminals, other than that I can't see any reason to modify the wiring layout.

Thanks for the quick reply, are 6 terminal JB quite common ? i.e do the sheds sell them as I've only seen the 4 terminal ones

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back