4 x three core cables for one light and switch?

Any thoughts? Ideas?
You now have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

Sponsored Links
@ban-all-sheds – Cheers for your replies and thoughts. I agree. I think I needed to take this a bit more seriously... I want to get it right and perhaps taking the 'trial by error' approach to something quite dangerous was wrong. I'll do just as you said and learn more and can always ask an electrician if I get stuck; I just felt that simpler tasks like changing a light fitting is something I should be learning to do but the way this house was wired makes me doubt how safe the original set up was which is why I wanted to ask some questions.

Cheers for all your help, guys.

but the way this house was wired makes me doubt how safe the original set up was

I've seen nothing to suggest that the ceiling rose was wired up incorrectly or badly. It's quite normal and has been done well.

It's you.

You do not know what you are doing and unfortunately have made just about every 'schoolboy error' as they say possible.

You must realise wires are connected how they are for a reason, and by fitting a new light they will be effectively connected in the same way again.

The switch cable, though brown and blue, should be imagined as brown and brown (permanent live and switch live) - hence the brown sleeving which fell off.

I will gladly explain to you how the light works wired in this way, if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back