406 hdi starting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - Ive had my peugeot 406 2 hdi 1999 plate for about 3 years now..serviced rugularly, but i never changed the glow plugs as it started first time all the time...until a few days ago....it wouldnt start...full tank of disel..battery a1 condition....turns over fine...but fails to fire...left it for a few hours went back and it started fine..been using it as normal until today...its sat outside my house with the same problem..thought id leave it for a few hours again and see what happens.....just come back in...turned the ignition...coil light came on for a few seconds....turned the ekey...fired very slightly....and now it just turns over but doesnt fire....read somewhere that it could be the immobilise..glow plugs...fuel pump...air in system....trouble is i cant take it to mecahnic cos it wont start....any ideas on what to check......im gonna try and change the glow plugs 2morrow, as im assuming it might be them cos iahvt changed them for yaers...thanks.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the glow plugs to me,not very expensive to change from somewhere like gsf or euro car parts,you can also test the length of time they are on if you have a test lamp or multimeter

If you have another key try using that, sometimes the key, immobiliser and the other electronic brain, BSI? don't talk to one another so the engine will turn but not fire. There is a peugeot owners (suffers) site which gives a procedure for getting them back together, leave side lights key in ignition but you'd be better going through the site for the order. Google search finds them.

Sponsored Links
The best thing you can do is get a multimeter, test if you have a 12v feed to the glow plugs when glow plug light illuminated. Then if you have got 12v take the glow plugs out (you will need a 12mm deep socket) and test with the multimeter for resistance between the top of the glow plug and the side outer body if you have a reading of 0 the glow plug is open circuit, a good glow plug should have a high reading 3-400. Or you can manually check them by powering them up, but you must use correct thickness wire and a fuseable link. No1 glow plug is a bit of a big job to get out. If you had an immobiliser fault the red light in the car would flash rapidly when cranking over.

Back