40mm shower waste connector into lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to connect the waste pipe (40mm) from my shower tray . But it reduces to 32mm at the joint in the attached photo and has previously leaked. I have learnt that a 40mm waste pipe should not be reduced to 32mm.
The connection in the photo is push fit (32mm) on the right and threaded (40mm) on the left. I have searched the internet but cannot finf anything like this which will connect a 40mm pipe and noy reduce it down.

I hope somebody can help

D Bass

//media.diynot.com/173000_172510_43469_13659836_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Google ; Mc Alpine multi fit coupling ;) that`ll fit the lead - and plastic

I presume you meant the picture to look like this:
View media item 43472
It looks to me as though someone has used a push fit tank connector with the backnut removed, threaded end pushed into the lead pipe. (You're sure it's lead?)

W905W.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

The man at Screwfix is getting one of these in:

http://www.partridgeshadleigh.co.uk...ing-straight-coupling-1-12-x-1-14-p-3581.html

This will allow most of the pipe work to be 40mm solvent weld, apart from this last part. I dont see how I can avoid it being reduced to fit into this last bit of (lead?) pipe.

I think its lead, its very solid and grey, and I assumed it was bcause the toilet waste pipe next to it goes into a lead pipe before going out into the cast iron pipe outside.

Any more help is appreciated. :)

Charnwod - your right that looks exactly like what is there at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Any potential leaks are more likely to be at the lead(?) end.
What is the white stuff on the threads? Looks like PTFE tape.

It is. It didint leak at all at that part (it is in there very tight!). The leak was from the connector that stepped down the 40mm pipe to 32mm before it went into the connector on the photo.

Thanks HERTSDRAINAGE2010,

I am considering the Fernco coupling, it might be simpler than some of the other options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back