45 Degree cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

So all I am trying to do so make a 45 Degree bevel cut? to some 12mm MDF
This guy makes it look so easy

When I do it the gigsaw starts shaking so much I can't keep it in a straight line...

Would it be any easier to use a circular saw? any tips why is it shaking so much?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I never find jigsaws any good for long straight cuts, circular is miles better.
That said two possibilities for your saw jumping. The timber is not firmly supported or you are using a downward cutting blade, most cut up pulling the saw down as they do so, sometimes if cutting from the face side you need a downward cutting blade to get a clean cut they can tend to bounce if you are not careful.
When trying to follow straight line and you start to run off the natural thing is to try and lean the blade in the direction you want to go it don't work!
Try to keep the saw flat on the work and "pivot" the whole saw around he blade to get back on line. Also see if the saw has a pendulum setting as a rule 1 to 3, 1 makes the saw blade move up and down in the same spot, ideal for intricate cuts, the others give a slight pendulum effect to help long cuts.
Do be careful using power tools on MDF the dust is very fine and there are concerns over the health effects. I often hand saw it is a piece of p**s to cut and often quicker than setting a power tool up.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back