45a MCB and Wylex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to have a 10.5kw electric shower installed. Its a Triton shower and the instructions state I need a RCD and a 45amp MCB.

My consumer unit is the old re-wireable fuse wire type so I plan to have a new consumer unit put in.

I will be getting an electrician to install the consumer unit and shower but I plan to run the cable for the shower (10mm) myself (save on labour costs) and get the electrician to change the consumer unit and hook up the new shower.

I've seen a Wylex consumer unit on offer in Screwfix that will suit me so I plan to get this myself BUT the shower states it needs a 45amp MCB but Wylex only do a 40 or a 50.

Any ideas why they don't supply this size and what make will fit a Wylex?

Many thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Most proper electricians really HATE the customer supplying their own kit.

If it all goes wrong it will be YOUR fault. I wish you luck.

they probably don't like it because they know they can make more money on parts. i will be getting 2 quotes. supply and install and install only.

mike

Sponsored Links
So when the sparky installs the consumer unit you have supplied and it has a faulty RCD that wont set are you going to pay him to wait for you to sort out the problem part, bearing in mind Screwfix will more than likely not give you the faulty RCD, they will want the whole unit back to swap it with you?

I plan to run the cable for the shower (10mm) myself
Given the length and installation method do your calculations confirm that a 10mm² cable is the right choice?

When you get to the stage of asking your electrician to sign to say that he chose the cable, he chose the route and he installed it, why should he?

they probably don't like it because they know they can make more money on parts. i will be getting 2 quotes. supply and install and install only.
Your electrician will have established that the right balance between staying competitive and not starving or becoming homeless is an income of £X per day.

If he makes some of it from materials markup and some from labour charges, and you deny him the former, do you think he will:

a) Just accept the situation and go without a few meals that week.

b) Add it onto his labour charge so that he ends up earning the same

?

Unless you can buy the materials for less than him you'll end up paying more.

mike

That will depend on the electrician.

Often the electrician will get parts cheaper than the customer.

Time and time again the customer will get the wrong parts, or a part that though not wrong could make the electrician's job considerably harder than if he chose it. Or they forget something. Or they get exactly what you don't want.

Markup on materials is quite straight forward to understand, the electrician has to drive to the wholesaler, collect the materials and then accepts all liability to you if they are faulty in as much as you will expect him to sort everything out if components are faulty.

I can see most of you points although I have taken advice from a professional into the correct fuse, cable size etc.

I'm only tring to save the electrician time. I'm sure if I tell the electrician that I have saved him chasing a wall, climbing in a cramped loft space etc etc then he will be pleased.

Mike

He'll still need to be able to inspect the cable route, so it would be far better if you chose your electrician and then agreed this with him beforehand. Otherwise, he'll still be climbing up into the loft to re-check the work you've already done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back