5" Sleeper Splits?

jhp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdo all.

I've begun a project to retain my backyard using steels planted in the ground and 5" railway sleepers placed between.

Bought some sleepers (new tanalised ones) and I've noticed a fair few have developed splits. Is this normal? And if so, how can I best prevent it?

The only thing done to the sleepers so far is that they've been cut by chainsaw at the dealers, then I've dobbed some Creosote substitute on the exposed end.

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
normal for sleepers to split as they dry. if the splits are really bad reject them

Cheers, Thermo.

Problem is they weren't split when I brought them home. Is there anything I can put on in future to prevent it?

Sponsored Links
Ok I'll accept that. As a final question while I'm picking brains, is there anything which can be applied afterwards to disguise the splits? :D

wood splits, it is its natural look, why would you want to change that unless it was structurally unsound?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back