80 years ago tonight...

One of my favourite places in Cornwall is Davidstow. They built an airfield for bombers their during the war, it took a couple of years, was operational for about 3 years then abandoned after the war. There is a small museum next to it that I've visited several times, and the cheese factory of course.

Whenever I'm in that part of the county, I pull off the main road and park up on one of the runways for ten minutes.

0_GMP_DCM_010422Davidstow_004JPG.jpg

Sponsored Links
On the subject of bombing civilians

Jeremy Bowen has been doing a series on radio 4 about war reporting and remaining impartial ?

He reported on the bomb shelter full of civilians that was targetted by the US in the Iraq war

43O civilians were killed (woman and children ) the US and UK propaganda machine swung into action claiming it was a military base ( a lie) bowen reported the truth and was compared to Lord Haw Haw by several sources for telling the truth
Isn't it strange how people in the west are always told to believe that we are right and the 'savages' are always wrong!

The reversal of fortunes is not that far off!

One of my favourite places in Cornwall is Davidstow. They built an airfield for bombers their during the war, it took a couple of years, was operational for about 3 years then abandoned after the war. There is a small museum next to it that I've visited several times, and the cheese factory of course.

In my youth, I did a lot of walking and hitch-hiking, usually spending my holidays in Cornwall. One of those times, I was walking in the direction of and close to Penzance, and spotted a Lancaster, parked in a green field, on my left, close to the sea. It seemed quite surreal, not a place I would expect a Lancaster to be able to land.

Sponsored Links
Back