8x4 chipboard for flooring

if it was me, I would certainly use the ply.

apart from cheapness, I don't know any advantage in chipboard.

Also, the bigger boards have fewer joints, which is an advantage. Put all cut edges under the skirting, and the square factory cuts will butt tightly together. Stagger the two rows. Use countersunk screws and mark pipe and cable runs on the upper face.

You may want to tighten the screws after a couple of weeks, though this is I think more common with chipboard.

I included a floorboard safe.

Sponsored Links
So where the 2 do join I will just need noggins under . I'm extended to the side and forward of existing room. Pic included .

Attachments

• IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3054.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 136
yes and make sure all joints are staggered
if you dont go with ply make sure the chipboard is 22mm and use moisture resistant (its better flooring long term

but it's all about installation a properly fitted chipboard floor will be superior to a poorly fitted ply floor.
There is nothing wrong with a properly fitted chipboard floor. I had the pleasure of having to rip one up the other week and I can tell you that floor wasn't going anywhere, it came up in fragments.

Sponsored Links
My new floor joists for my loft are 8 x 2 at 400 centers, wooden noggins screwed not nailed, and 22mm sheets of Egger Protect laminated board. They are about £10 a sheet well worth it. Glued and screwed at 300mm intervals to keep BC happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back